Random thought of the night - Should I learn Japanese?

Soldato
For no apparent reason I just thought maybe I should learn Japanese.

This is a seemingly random thought that just popped into my head, like most random thoughts. As with most of hair-brained ideas, i tend to give them some chance. Magic for instance was fairly random :p

So, learning Japanese, is this a good idea?

Associate
No....and I'll tell you why.....as soon as you try to speak Japanese to Japanese people in Japan they'll try to talk to you in English. If, however, you try to converse with them in English they will only reply in Japanese.

Just a small observation that I've made whilst living over here :D

Seriously though, it's an interesting language to learn, I'd recommend learning the two Kana writing systems as soon as you start.

Soldato
OP
gord said:
Did you give up magic or are you pro at it now/use it often?

Haven't given up on it as such. I've turned more to sleight of hand and manipulation as I've decided this is where my real interest lies. It's purely for my entertainment, i've no intention to be a pro. Does get me the occasional free pint and provides converstation, I'm happy with that.

I always keep a couple of half dollar coins and a pack of cards on me. I think that sleight of hand is the skillful part of magic and what I enjoy watching the most.

Soldato
OP
Kamikaze_Pigeon said:
No....and I'll tell you why.....as soon as you try to speak Japanese to Japanese people in Japan they'll try to talk to you in English. If, however, you try to converse with them in English they will only reply in Japanese.

Just a small observation that I've made whilst living over here :D

Seriously though, it's an interesting language to learn, I'd recommend learning the two Kana writing systems as soon as you start.

To be perfectly honest, I'm more keen on Japanese from a purely geeky gamers perspective. I'd love to be able to fully appreciate all the crazy video games they publish ;)

Soldato
Then no, do not take up Japanese. Its one of the hardest languages to learn and youve talked yourself out of learning difficult magic by thinking you like slight of hand rather than other magic. You dont have the drive to learn Japanese and you are doing it purely on whim. Plus your motivation to learn will be severely hindered as you have no one to practice it on or be rewarded by conversation with.
Lets see if that spurs you on. Go on prove me wrong.

Soldato
OP
gord said:
Then no, do not take up Japanese. Its one of the hardest languages to learn and youve talked yourself out of learning difficult magic by thinking you like slight of hand rather than other magic. You dont have the drive to learn Japanese and you are doing it purely on whim. Plus your motivation to learn will be severely hindered as you have no one to practice it on or be rewarded by conversation with.
Lets see if that spurs you on. Go on prove me wrong.

Cunning bit of blue there ;)

I'd like you to find me a branch of magic that requires more practise and dedication than sleights. Plus with those you can do much of magic anyway.

You are correct however, it is on a whim, but thats how I like to live :D

Back
Top Bottom