Macro Lenses

olv

olv

Soldato
I would really like a macro lens after seeing some of the stunning examples posted recently. I can't quite stomach the £380 cost of the 100mm Canon (no matter how much i'd like to! it does look fantastic). What are my options for ~£200?

Is the Canon 50mm f/1.8 and a set of extension tubes a good option?

Both the canon and sigma 50mm macro lenses come in under £200, don't know if these are any good though.

What are your thoughts? Should i just hold out for the 100mm canon?

Camera is a 10D by the way.

olv

olv

Soldato
OP
What are your thoughts on the sigma? at £280 it's certainly more doable than the canon.

What are the main benefits of a dedicated macro lens? I know you lose infinity with extension tubes. Other downsides?

a Macro lens is better purly because it is.

The Sigma comes with a lens hood and a carry case. IQ wise is probably on a par with the canon. Colour repro might differ.

The problems if you can call them that with the Sigma are:
Loud and slow AF
External focusing system where as the Canon I believe is internal.

I found that when shooting with the extention tubes I was rocking backwards and fowards waiting to achieve a focus, and even then it was touch and go.

The extention tubes are a cheap quick fix but anyone would tell you its money better put towards a macro lens (even if it means waiting a while longer)

Soldato
Well i got my canon for £310 new. It was from an ebayer that i use regularly so i was able to buy from outside ebay. He has very high feedback and well known throughout ebay as a great camera gear seller.

I can put you in touch if you like.

Soldato
yak.h'cir said:
Well i got my canon for £310 new. It was from an ebayer that i use regularly so i was able to buy from outside ebay. He has very high feedback and well known throughout ebay as a great camera gear seller.

I can put you in touch if you like.

Could you email me the details of this ebayer?
james.green @T ic.ac.uk

Cheers :D

Soldato
olv said:
i think i just better get saving!

photography is the bane of my finances!

Tell me about it, i had to add up the cost of all my equipment the other day for the insurance. I couldnt believe the total price. Its just scary. Totally worth it though its just so much fun!

I wonder if it will ever stop! I've got a pretty complete collection of lenses now. The only I really really would like is the canon 24-70mm f2.8, that is one fine lens! But then I suppose there is always something else... 400mm f2.8 anyone?

A couple of weeks ago I was even thinking upgrading my body (camera body that is :p ) but decided the money would be far better spent on glass.

olv

olv

Soldato
OP
I'll probably give you a shout about that ebayer when i'm ready to splurge. still recovering from getting my 10-20 :p

Back
Top Bottom