some REALLY WEIRD ! goings on

Soldato
Hey all my spec is:

DFI LanParty NF4 SLI-DR EXPERT (Bios 12/07/05)
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ @ 2805mhz, 1.52v - XP-120 H/S
OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC3200 Platinum Series EL-DDR CAS2
Sapphire ATI Radeon X1900XT@XTX 512MB PCI-E x16
SoundBlaster XFI Music
2x74gb Raptors RAID0-System drive
Hitachi 250gb sata2,swap
Max10 300gb Pata,
Max9 80gb Sata,
Samsung 160gb Pata,
Seagate 7200.9 80gb SATA2 swap
external USB2 NEC DVD,
FSP 700Watt PSU

Now the other day I was playing BF2, it crashed, I rebooted and got:

NTLDR is missing, how annoying,

After a couple of weeks messing around and having to boot off an A: drive to make NTLDR work I found out it was my MAX9 harddisk, when its unplugged it works fine, plug it in with windows running system become unstable after ~2 mins.

FINE i thought, seems BF2 crashing screwed my MAX9 sata disk, it is about 3 years old to be fair. I dont get how this drive makes it not boot though, its not a swap file drive or anything, it simply has games on it.

SO ON WITH THE PROBLEMS,

I remove the MAX9 drive completely from my rig, boot up,and all my drives are there (in my computer in windows) apart from the Samsung 160gb Pata, odd I thought, switch off again, switch back on and get a:

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION error, wtf :confused:

Check all is plugged in, looks fine, boot again and still get the error. Switch off and unplug data and power cable from Samsung drive and now seems to be working fine :confused:

Iv done research and machine check exception errors nearly all relate to a PSU problem, how on earth can it be that ? its a 700WATT FSP, about a month old !, my old 485watt enermax handled the system with a x1800XT 512 in no problems, i only got this 700watt as i thought i was pushing it.

Also its been running a month with all the drives in working fine, what all of a sudden has led to this maddness ? any ideas anyone ?

Soldato
OP
on 485 the pci-e was 18a

700 fsp pci-e is certified 15a but is being recertified 18a apparently

as for the rest of it:

+5V 0.5A 30.0A +-5% 50mV P-P
+12V1 0.0A 15.0A +-5% 120mV P-P
+12V2 0.0A 15.0A +-5% 120mV P-P
+12V3 0.9A 15.0A +-5% 120mV P-P
+12V4 0.1A 15.0A +-5% 120mV P-P
+3.3V 0.8A 36.0A +-5% 50mV P-P
-12V 0.0A 0.5A +-10% 120mV P-P
+5Vsb 0.0A 2.0A +-5% 50mV P-P

(all 15a will read 18a soon apparently)

the 485 watt enermax has lower +5v amps etc on the psu, think it was 28 off top head, but its been working a month so why fail now ?

Soldato
Question is, what's your system temps - especially hard disk temps?? & could (if its possible) the SATA & or PATA controller be overloading? I'm no expert, but possibly hard disk and or mobo issue? Have you tried with less hard disks?

Soldato
OP
hp7909 said:
Question is, what's your system temps - especially hard disk temps?? & could (if its possible) the SATA & or PATA controller be overloading? I'm no expert, but possibly hard disk and or mobo issue? Have you tried with less hard disks?

System temp is:

CPU 25c
NF4 chipset 40c
Harddisks range from 22 to 32C

so i dont think its that, now its not picking up the SATA2 seagate drive :confused: its just vanished even though plugged in, its been working fine though, whats wrong :(

Associate
just because you have a 700w PSU which is a month old doesnt mean its not faulty or hasnt developed a fault

If you have another PSU try putting that in and trying again.

Associate
There you go then....It's a MAXTOR Hard Drive....What do you expect!

The last 3 i've had to replace because of eventual complete faliure started off like that. They're prone to it....Anyone who owns and uses a Maxtor HDD to boot from stands a high chance of getting the same message.

Why people continue to buy them is beyond me

Associate
Combat squirrel said:
Oh and another thing, my voltages are abit low, they were spot on with enermax 485watt, this psu is:

3.3v = 3.28
5v = 4.75
12v = 11.96
From what I read/heard a while back, aren't voltages supposed to have a 10%+/- either way on them?

Soldato
OP
well yes the maxtors gone, but it lastest 3 years.

NOW im getting the machine check error ONLY when the samsung drive is attached, WHY would it do this ? not plugged in works fine, any ideas? what exactly is machine check error ?

Checked M$ website says causes are:

• System bus errors
• Memory errors that may include parity or Error Correction Code (ECC) problems
• Cache errors in the processor or hardware
• Translation Lookaside Buffers (TLB) errors in the processor
• Other CPU-vendor specific detected hardware problems
• Vendor-specific detected hardware problems

However my Maxtor PATA on the same controller works fine :confused:

Ran MEMTEST 86+ works fine, NO errors whatsoever

I suppose in theory 2 harddrives could go at the same time, but a samsung ? :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
trojan698 said:
This may sound obvious, but have you tried reinstalling windows?

well yeah obviously, but thats what im avoiding right now, as got exams on and that, I put the Samsung in a USB2 enclosure for now and its working fine :confused:, why work on a USB enclosure and not directly plugged in mainboard?

Associate
Hi, a SATA driver problem this sounds like to me, or the SATA controller on-board is failing or the NB is overheating, though unlikely. Also the voltages are fine and not low, as there is a 5% - 10% on figures anyway, depending on how paranoid you are about the voltages in a system.

Anthony

Soldato
OP
acharris said:
Hi, a SATA driver problem this sounds like to me, or the SATA controller on-board is failing or the NB is overheating, though unlikely. Also the voltages are fine and not low, as there is a 5% - 10% on figures anyway, depending on how paranoid you are about the voltages in a system.

Anthony

would that apply to the samsung drive though ? as its a PATA harddrive

Associate
Hi, yes as if it was setup on a SATA/IDE style then, maybe because the sata drive have been removed from the system, then it is still looking for a drive of that setup in the configuration.

I had a setup once of SATA with XP on, and IDE on primary master. Anyway that primary master and I swapped over drives. I then lost my SATA drive and I could not get the system to boot up with the sata drive with XP on again.

So I ended up putting the PATA as my boot device with a fresh install of XP and the SATA as a 2nd drive, as I needed to get all my files back off from my documents and stuff on that drive before the format.

Anthony

Associate
Friend had this issue:

Here's his description of what happened:

**start**

I have a drive on the IDE channel. (Music and Media drive) It doesn't have a boot record cos it's data only accessed by XP once booted.

For some reason BIOS was reverting back to booting from IDE channel instead of SATA(RAID)

**end**

He found reseating all his IDE and SATA cables fixed it...

Perhaps your mix of SATA and IDE has similar issues?

M

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom