• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

CPU Thermal Throttling

Associate
Guys

I'm using a skt 754 CPU with a DFI NForce3 mobo. In the bios, there is an option to change the CPU Thermal Throttling from the default 50 percent setting to something else.

Do you guys know what it does coz when I change it to off, the board won't reboot.

The CPU temp is around 51C under full load. I have to clear the cmos to get back into the bios.

Soldato
I'm not entirely sure what the option does, but the lockup is a bug in the BIOS of the board.

I do seem to remember though that it has no effect. If it really bothers you, hunt for an alternative or newer BIOS which fixes it, or just do what I did, and leave it at 50% :)

Associate
I have this, Iam new to this cpu throttling as I dont think the Socket A processors did it. My setup will do 38 secs in pi but I try it now and its taking 1minute 30, I presume its down to this.

Is it safe to turn throttling off, I just found a utility called rightmark cpu clock utility that seems to show this and other stuff :confused:

image14nx.jpg

Gangster
Permabanned
ive never found thermal throttling to have any perf increase or decrease. i think the idea was if it gets too hot then it throttles the cpu back, but its never seemed to work :confused: or maybe the cpu has to get really hot before it does it :confused: either way i always had the pc set to shut down at 75c

Man of Honour
I always thought that thermal throttling works in a similar way to cool'n'quiet except the throttling occurs when the CPU gets too hot and not when the cpu isn't in use (which IS more or less the same tbh). I always keep mine disabled.

Associate
Well I turned it off, I had in fact increased it from 50% to 87.5% somehow thinking that reduced its effect :o .

Its stopped the slowdown effect I was having and I can see no harm or purpose to having it anyway :)

I have cool and quiet mentioned on the dram settings page for some reason, Ive disabled it since the engrish that describes it is terrible

Back
Top Bottom