FAO Feek - beer question

Associate
The best beer i have tried in morrisons is innes and gunn so far nothing has beaten the taste for me, im sure others who have tried it will agree it's damn tasty stuff!

Man of Honour
Anybody in London interested in wierd and wonderful beers, I can heartily recommend the Bierodrome either on Kingsway (just out of Holborn tube station) or else there is one in Clapham. They server close to a hundred different beers and ales. One of which is a banana one, and one which I found particularly delicious was a strawberry flavoured one... it was even pink in colour! It was a dangerous drink as it's about 5-8% and you can easily down a few without realising how strong they are! Bloody delicious though. The banana one was intruiging.

Soldato
Morrison's 4 for a fiver deal is great, means I get to spend ages umming and ahhing in the beer aisle during the weekly shop :)

Not tried the Banana bread one yet (tbh I was put off by the name - I loathe beers that are flavoured with anything - Innes and Gunn is one example, yeeeurgh, minging). Also dislike strong beers, taste seems to be sacrificed for power - I rarely go for anything 6% or higher - prefer the 4-5% range.

Favourites at the moment - Summer Lightning, Coniston Bluebird bitter, Fursty Ferret and an organic one I can't remember the name of. All fairly golden pale ales - for summer I prefer them to the darker, heavier beers - which are more of a winter pint.

Soldato
VeNT said:
tbh, days like today are ment to be spent drinking corona with lime!

Dude, do you live in mexico?

Do you have a fly problem?

If not, ditch the poncy lime, pour the girls drink away and get some real ale down you. :)

Soldato
Von Luck said:
Dude, do you live in mexico?

Do you have a fly problem?

If not, ditch the poncy lime, pour the girls drink away and get some real ale down you. :)

dude, when you are as manly as me you can drink anything, EVEN Gin and Tonic with lime and no-one will think your a metrohomogaycamper.

and it tastes good

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Personally, I am a big fan of OP.

I drink most of my beers at room temperature, I find that this helps give the full flavour of the beer.

One of the few beers I prefer chilled is Innes & Gunn (mentioned previously).

Fursty Ferret, which was also mentioned earlier, is another favourite of mine. I also like Ruddles County and one called Marston's Firestoker which has a very distinct vanilla flavour.

If you want a good Scottish beer, avoid Deuchars IPA, it is overrated. If you can get one called Old Jock, give that a try or a nice mild beer is Arran Blonde.

Stan :)

Soldato
I drink everything which isn't lager or stout at cellar temperature which, I think is about 8-10c. Since I don't have a cellar it ends up in the garage. I finished my homebrew recently, its quite good nice flavour except its excessively fizzy, infact its the fizziest drink I have ever had.

Its name is pretty hideous too:

Severn-Up! :p

Severn-Trent water. :D

Suspended
Bigstan said:
If you want a good Scottish beer, avoid Deuchars IPA, it is overrated. If you can get one called Old Jock, give that a try or a nice mild beer is Arran Blonde.
Overrated yes, but still very nice. I've never had a bad beer from Harviestoun's either - definitely one of my favourite breweries.

Man of Honour
I'm not sure if it's availabe in the supermarkets but I was out a while ago and got a pint of ale called 'Old ******'. Yes, I did buy it purely because I wanted to ask the barmaid for one but I got a very pleasent surprise. It was the best ale I have ever tasted :)

Does anyone know if it is available in bottles?

Soldato
Feek said:
Drink both at room temperature or just slightly below. If you chill them then you don't get the full taste.

OP is much overrated in my opinion. It has quite a distinctive and slightly unusual flavour and it's become one of the fashionable ales to drink but I've never been that keen on it. Tanglefoot is a bit bland. You're going from one end to the other in terms of flavour.

If you're looking for a rather splendid beer in a bottle, nip to your local Morrisons and get some Wells Banana Bread Beer. Strange name, fantastic flavour.

K.
Agreed, Banana Bread beer is fantastic. Iirc they are 3 for £4 at Asda atm.

Soldato
tickle me elmo said:
such a beer n00b, you should drink ALL beer chilled.
stick to your JD :)

Except you're not talking about beer here 'n00b' you're talking about Ale which is a slightly different beast. Beer is pasteurised to kill the yeast before it is bottled / nitro-kegged, and a number of them are even flushed with bleach to finish off the remainder of the yeast, whilst Ale isn't. Ale is also 'kegged' without using nitrogen, so you lose that disgusting edge on draught beer. Ale continues to brew in the keg/bottle, ensuring you get a more natural taste when its poured. Some bottled ale comes with a noticeable sediment in the bottom of the ale from the yeast. It has a light fizziness produced by the yeast, rather than the harsher one found in most beers, caused by the nitrogen and carbon dioxide that are injected into the beer after pasteurisation.
Most beers found on the UK market are mass-produced and left to mature for the shortest possible time, some are matured for barely a week, resulting in the weaker taste. I find it funny Budweiser advertise the birth date of their lager as if it is an indication of quality, when in reality anyone who knows their drink realises its a sign of weakness.

Beer ≠ Ale.

All ales are beers by nature of their common roots (malted barley, hops water and yeast), but not all beers are ales.

Beers you chill, Ales you don't unless specifically directed to do so.

Spie said:
Theakston's Old Peculiar and Badger Tangle Foot beer. Are they any good?

Also, do they need to be chilled or drank at room temperature?

Ta :)

Unless it says to serve it chilled on the bottle itself, you're best off serving at room temperature, in my experience.
OP is a good one, I quite like it, suits my tastebuds nicely, but there are others I prefer more :D. Tanglefoot is average, doesn't taste fantastic, but then also isn't bad. Certainly none of the chemical edge that blights some commercial ales and beers. Badger's ales are generally safe bets. Blandford fly is the only one they do that I don't like, but thats because its spicy. Makes for a really peculiar drink.

Man of Honour
FAO Spie -

Your shop is less than half a mile from the world famous Malt and Hops on King Street.
Turn right at the top of Duke St and its on the left about 300 yards down.
Drinkers travel from all over the world to drink in that pub and the landlord travels all around the country fetching most of the beers himself in a trailer.
It is a real ale drinkers paradise and theres no blaring music either.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Man of Honour
rmuir said:
deuchars overrated?????

each to their own, i suppose, but.. is that bottled or on tap that you have tried?

I've had both and find the draught slightly better.

Don't get me wrong, it's quite a nice beer but every time anybody mentions Scottish beer, the name Deuchar's pops up.
I Just happen to think there are many better Scottish beers.

Stan :)

Godfather
Godfather
OP
Ah the Malt and Hops. Not been there for around 3 years. Used to go on a Saturday night with a few mates. Great beer I remember.

Back
Top Bottom