Ok. So NTL and Xbox Live. Anyone having problems?

Soldato
I am going insane, I am still having problems with my NTL and xbox 360. Downloads are so slow you could go to sleep and wake up and your demo is done, and I am constantly losing connection in voice chats and online games.

I checked NTLworld service status, and they have sheduled yet more work to be carried out, this time to the 17th or something! so am I the only one this happening to? I even tried a different ethernet cable, and plugged the 360 directly in to my cable modem!

Soldato
From another thread I posted in...

Nismo said:
It appears that in some parts of the country they are throttling the ports that Live uses. Typically for me it happens between 5pm and early the next morning.

It's annoying that it only affects some people, and its definitely not an issue with network load or over-subscription in the area, as I can quite happily download at full speed from my PC at the same times.

If yours is slow ALL of the time, then its possible its another issue.

There is a definite problem for some people on NTL who use Live, its just that no one at NTL or MS seems to want to take responsibility for it.

Associate
Heres a definitive test that I found through google that was posted on another forum.

http://68.142.127.15:3074/o2/test1.dat

Try downloading that test file. See what speeds you get through Live's port (3074). The speed for me settles around 200kb/sec. Which at the moment is pretty good, but nothing amazing considering I can pull over 5x that.

Next try that exact same link, but without the :3074 so that it reads http://68.142.127.15/o2/test1.dat

What speed do you get? ;)

Associate
It's wierd, ever since I got my Xbox back in Jan, all my downloads have been really slow, but the last couple of days they've been absolutely flying.

I've downloaded about 8 demos and 15 trailers since Tuesday.

I've no idea why its going so fast now but I don't care. I'm on 10mb Ntl by the way.

Soldato
They are throttling. There was a similar test to what Bliston just posted on another forum. It clearly showed very slow speeds on the port Live uses.

Live being slow on NTL is a well known problem and I've seen it mentioned many times on these very forums and on the AV forums as well as xbox.com's uk forums.

http://forums.xbox.com/1/3538033/ShowPost.aspx#3538033
Just one example of a huge thread on xbox.com about it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dark_Angel said:
could it have anything to do with the fact that I still have a very old modem, the black Teryon one?

Nope, I have the newest (I think) NTL Home 250 and its still slow during certain periods.

I will try the tests above later after 5 when I know I always have problems just to see what happens.

Soldato
No problems regarding speed and Live! with my 2mb NTL line.

1st test = 241KB/Sec

2nd test = 238KB/Sec

However I nearly always have to re-continue my downloads as 80% of the time they will just stop half way through. I have also found this with my pc downloads. Unless I am using a download manager, IE download of a big file (50mb+) usually just stops randomly at some point. Very annoying!

Soldato
Nismo said:
Nope, I have the newest (I think) NTL Home 250 and its still slow during certain periods.

I will try the tests above later after 5 when I know I always have problems just to see what happens.

Thanks for confirming that as I have the Terayon too and wondered if it might be that.

My speeds have improved markedly since the Live Update/Day off but it's still very changeable. It's not been too bad for the E3 stuff mercifully but it's not really good enough when it takes over an hour to get a 400MB demo and I'm on 10MB NTL.

Soldato
OP
Is anyone else getting the problem where they are being dropped out of live games though? it even happens occasionaly when I am just using private chat on the dashboard.

I have noticed that on occasion my PC seems to have a few problems, such as a page cant be found, a refresh later and it seems to be ok. I am not certain what to think, because it seemed to be ok a month or so ago... :/

Soldato
Dark_Angel said:
Is anyone else getting the problem where they are being dropped out of live games though? it even happens occasionaly when I am just using private chat on the dashboard.

I have noticed that on occasion my PC seems to have a few problems, such as a page cant be found, a refresh later and it seems to be ok. I am not certain what to think, because it seemed to be ok a month or so ago... :/
I have only ever dropped connection from games a couple of times and that was with PGR2 back on my old Xbox. 360 has been fine regarding that.

I do however find the occasional page I am reading to suddenly become not found. I can be reading away at someones post and then it just goes. I then have to refresh the page to get it straight back. Again, really annoying!!

Soldato
robbiemc said:
Im on NTL 10meg here..
The first test it was flying at my max d/l speed of 1200k/sec, so that seems fine to me mate.

I'm back on NTL 10mb and get around 145kb/sec on both those links yet everything else I download is full speed :(

Soldato
no probs here either, only time i have trouble is when i download something that i know is popular and just been upped to market place so its expected.

NTL 2meg here.

Last edited:
Associate
bilston said:
Heres a definitive test that I found through google that was posted on another forum.

http://68.142.127.15:3074/o2/test1.dat

Try downloading that test file. See what speeds you get through Live's port (3074). The speed for me settles around 200kb/sec. Which at the moment is pretty good, but nothing amazing considering I can pull over 5x that.

Next try that exact same link, but without the :3074 so that it reads http://68.142.127.15/o2/test1.dat

What speed do you get? ;)

Ntl are the only ISP who use transparent poxies so this test is useless for ntl users, since the test is using http is will always be routed through port 80

Soldato
Only tried each link for about 30 seconds on 10mb NTL. First link burst to 125k and then dipped below 100 and stayed there. Second link flew straight upto 800k and kept climbing. Not pleased!

Associate
GTCole said:
Ntl are the only ISP who use transparent poxies so this test is useless for ntl users, since the test is using http is will always be routed through port 80
But when people are reporting different things happening on specific ports such as 3074 (from the same address!) then the fact they use transparent proxies doesnt matter. It still shows they are throttling.

Their Proxies only cover port 80 correct? If so try the second download link with :81 instead of no specified port. Guaranteed it will shoot up over the 100kb that we get over 3074.

I get roughly the same speeds as Rich and I too am on 10mb service. This test does show that something is up. If the new update that MS are issuing for downloads over Live will allow us to select ports of our choice we would be getting decent speeds. Whether they will actually do this I dont know :/

Associate
Im on NTL and have been using live on my 360 and the only problem i came across was some downloads being slow but i put that down to maybe there is a lot of people downloading the same thing. Its only happened a few times.

Soldato
Just tried the test...

Test 1 going via the 'supposedly' throttled port = ~80kB/sec

Test 2 = ~230kB/sec

I knew that would be the case anyway, anytime after 5pm is always like this for me on Live.

Back
Top Bottom