Need some clarification on OC'in

Associate
Hey guys, im building a rig and i plan to OC it, ive read thru this forum and there some gd advice but i need some things clearing up. So if you wouldnt mind...also in terms of performance im not rlly interested in the difference it makes on a benchmark (well i am but...) im more interested in the diff it makes on games and the like.

What is 1T and 2T? I realise 1T is better (i saw 1T is 400mb/s faster quoted some where could have been 400b/s i forget) but what does it actually mean in terms of the board. Ive heard only the DFI will allow you to use 4 sticks with 1T but are there any others? i planned on using the sapphire Prue innovation board the black one will it support 4x 512 on T1 or for that matter will any of the Pure innovation boards.

Also i saw some bench marks that suggested that using 4x 512 ovr 2x 1024 yeilded a 5-10% increase in ram performance is this tru and if i cant use 1T with 4 sticks (thats correct right) would using 2x 1024 be better and switching to T1?

Also im right in believing the 64's like tighter CAS latencies? (also is this another reason to switch to 2x 1024 so i can use 1T)

Thanks guys i appreciate any feed bac

iNDEH :D

Soldato
It all depends on your CPU

If you have a socket 939 AMD then bandwidth is meaningless, go for higher cpu clock speeds than tighter timings on the ram as it will give you a bigger performance gain
Saying that you should try keep 1t if possible as it does give you a performance boost over 2t timings.
Adrian Wong said:
“This BIOS feature allows you to select the delay between the assertion of the Chip Select signal till the time the memory controller starts sending commands to the memory bank. The lower the value, the sooner the memory controller can send commands out to the activated memory bank. When this feature is enabled, the memory controller will only insert a command delay of one clock cycle or 1T. When this feature is disabled, the memory controller will insert a command delay of two clock cycles or 2T. The Auto option allows the memory controller to use the memory module's SPD value for command delay. If the SDRAM command delay is too long, it can reduce performance by unnecessarily preventing the memory controller from issuing the commands sooner. However, if the SDRAM command delay is too short, the memory controller may not be able to translate the addresses in time and the "bad commands" that result will cause data loss and corruption. It is recommended that you try enabling SDRAM 1T Command for better memory performance. But if you face stability issues, disable this BIOS feature."

Heres a interesting thread that compares the various memory options against increasing the clock speeds with slower ram settings
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

If i have got it wrong feel free to correct me but thats how i understand it :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom