Human efficiency (Physics calculations)

Soldato
Now, a team of around 4 people have lifted 4298 kg 4.5 meters into a cargo hold.

Joules = weight x distance moved

4298x10=42980 Newtons
42980x4.5=193410 Joules or 193.41kJ.

Over 4 people thats 48.3525kJ each. This is all rough :p

Now, a slice of bread is ruffly 500kJ, so we cant have used 10% of a slice of bread each to lift 1 ton each.

Even if we are 10% efficient, thats still a slice of bread to life 1 ton. Unless we are less than 1% efficient, that doesn't seem right to me :confused:

So, what am I doing wrong :o

Soldato
Yes but you have to realise Energy comes from other places in our body too, if my memory serves me correctly, through both aerobic and anerobic respiration :)

Soldato
OP
eXSBass said:
Yes but you have to realise Energy comes from other places in our body too, if my memory serves me correctly, through both aerobic and anerobic respiration :)

But surely the food energy (chemical) is used abit to respire?

No food = no energy = dead?

Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
But surely the food energy (chemical) is used abit to respire?

No food = no energy = dead?

Glucose + Oxygen = Carbon Dioxide + Water + Energy

Glucose comes from many sources, not just food. And off course oxygen is oxygen. The products are Co2, H20 and Kj

Edit: Even if the food was supplying the Glucose the body would use Glucose reserves in the Gall Bladder (I think it's stored there) for anerobic respiration.

Edit 2: For anerobic respiration, Glucose ---> Lactic Acid + Energy. The lactic acid builds up in the muscles when using reserves, that is why your muscles feel like rubber and feel a burning sensation when doing something active like sport or going to the gym :)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
eXSBass said:
Glucose + Oxygen = Carbon Dioxide + Water + Energy

Glucose comes from many sources, not just food. And off course oxygen is oxygen. The products are Co2, H20 and Kj

Edit: Even if the food was supplying the Glucose the body would use Glucose reserves in the Gall Bladder (I think it's stored there) for anerobic respiration.

Edit 2: For anerobic respiration, Glucose ---> Lactic Acid + Energy. The lactic acid builds up in the muscles when using reserves, that is why your muscles feel like rubber and feel a burning sensation when doing something active like sport or going to the gym :)

Yeee :), I pretty much knew all that BUT the glucose first came from a food source. So now its in the body, what is the efficiency? :confused:

Eg. Eat, then start lifting/running/exercise, what % of that energy in the food is used to lift/propell you? :confused: :o

CR.

Soldato
Concorde Rules said:
Yeee :), I pretty much knew all that BUT the glucose first came from a food source. So now its in the body, what is the efficiency? :confused:

Eg. Eat, then start lifting/running/exercise, what % of that energy in the food is used to lift/propell you? :confused: :o

CR.

We need a Biologist. All this stuff that's coming out of my mouth is my GCSE biology days.
I am now an A Level Physicist! :D

Soldato
OP
eXSBass said:
We need a Biologist. All this stuff that's coming out of my mouth is my GCSE biology days.
I am now an A Level Physicist! :D

:D

Im coming to the end of my GCSEs, going on to A level Physics (got A* in mocks in Physics lol - Maths and geography :D :cool:

Back
Top Bottom