• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

FAULTY Opteron 180

NqR

NqR

Associate
Here s how the story goes.
I ve recently bought the cpu from bay.
It was sold without the ihs(no warranty)
Anyway,the cpu was dead on arrival so i used paypal protection and now i can send the cpu back for a refund.

What i want to know is, if the cpu can be fixed(i think one of the 26 registers-the chips around the core-is physically damaged,this might be the reason of faultyness).

I am asking this because i already paid 50pounds importing taxes and i will have to pay for the postage to send it back which are not included in the refund.If it can be fixed i might ask the seller if he wants to partially refund me and let me keep the cpu.

So...
Is there any value(how great?) for a faulty opteron 180 ???
Is there any chance/way to get it fixed?

Thank you for you time.Any advice would be aprriciated

Last edited:
Caporegime
NqR said:
So...
Is there any value(how great?) for a faulty opteron 180 ???
Is there any chance/way to get it fixed?

Thank you for you time.Any advice would be aprriciated

Any value - If it doesn't POST its worthless

Repair - No not possible.

Associate
Believe it or not, you can ressurect some of these if you are lucky like me...

story goes, i had a 4200 dual core that i removed the IHS off, worked fine for ages...then decided i would sell it due to upgrade...the buyer asked if i could reattach the IHS, which i said i would do, using some small dabs of epoxy resin around the edges ( a million forum readers laugh )..anyway , ihs reattached, i tested, all fine apart from temperature which was a bit high...being a nice guy, i went to remove the IHS and try to reapply to get better temps...anyway i damaged 3 of the SMD resistors with a knife.....screamed for a while then cut the remainder of the resistors off and cleaned..tried to boot, nothing...tried to maybe join the dots with pencil shading ...nothing.....
Recently went about volt modding the 7900GT, got some cunductive paint, did the mod, fine all dandy, then saw the dead 4200 on the shelf ... I wonder ...??????
did blobs covering all 8 dots on the three resistor areas and tried a boot....FULLY WORKING, primed for 24 Hours....now maybe i was just lucky, but hell, its got to be worth a shot no ????

Caporegime
I've chipped a couple of the SMD resistors on mine when mounting my waterblock, still works fine at 2.8Ghz so I'm not going to question it.

In this case though the guys been sent a faulty chip, the first thing to do is try and get his money back, if all else fails then certainly give what you suggest ago.

Back
Top Bottom