Cant access any websites requiring passwords:E.G. Ebay, Hotmail etc?

Soldato
Friend of mine has a laptop running XP Home and accesses the net with BT Broadband.

She can view almost any sites, apart from any that require her to enter a password. So she can get onto, say......Ebay's main page, but as soon as she clicks on "My Ebay" and enters her password, it just comes up "Page cannot be displayed" or "Webpage unavailable" ( not sure exactly what error message it is, she was on the phone last night and she cant remember ).

Whatever message it is, its only affecting any webpages she tries to access using any of her passwords. Other than that, the PC seems to work fine.

I'm thinking there's some sort of security setting that has gone wrong?.

Any help appreciated. Popping over to her place in a few hours to see if I can find anything and would be handy to have a few pointers of where to look.

Cheers.

Soldato
It will be any page with SSL (the padlock) I bet, I had the same problem..... now if only I can remmeber how I fixed it.

Try reconnecting to the internet by powering down the modem/router.

Soldato
OP
Cheers, I'll check the net settings for the SSL options.

If I installed Firefox on her system and she went through that, would the same thing still happen do you reckon?.

Soldato
OP
Well, installing Firefox seemed to help quite a bit. Now she can access all of the sites that weren't available before, including Hotmail.

Only problem now is that when trying to sign on to MSN Messenger, its giving her a popup saying that she is currently not connected the the Windows .Net framework and it couldn't connect to MSN Msgr?.

Soldato
sounds like the ports arent enabled on the router? has she recently upgraded her modem to a router or just got a router? Some secure sites use a fifferent port iirc that would explain why messenger doesnt work too.

Caporegime
A router shouldn't block SSL, whether it's "enabled" or no.

What MTU (tool here) is the machine (and the router if she's got one) using (you're looking for a value about 1500)?

Back
Top Bottom