• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is this a worthy upgrade? (AMD => Intel)

Soldato
Hi guys after having a great amount of hassle with my opty's memory controller and i am now in need of a new cpu. I'm just thinking whether it would be worth upgradeing to a intel 805D and overclocking that nicely and getting a high end intel motherboard that will be conroe compatable in the future?

Has anyone made this change and seen any benefits?

Thing that's swaying me toward this change is that it's dual core, the 805 clocks incredibly well and after looking through some benchmarks it keeps up with and beats a overclocked fx60 in some tests!

thoughts someone?

Associate
If everything in your current system is working fine bar the cpu, then it would be cheaper just to upgrade to an X2 if you want dual core, then you wont have to buy a new cpu, mobo and new memory.
I dont know whether the high end intel boards will support conroe, maybe someone else can answer that.

Don
I would say yes its worth it but with an overclock like that it makes you wonder how long the chip will last and I wouldnt like to pay the electric bills for an overclock like that! but a 54% overclock, amazing I think, and definately bang for your buck

As for the motherboard, I dont think a motherboard at the moment would really support Conroe, and if they do it still will not perform as good as motherboard that are made for Conroe...

but thats my opinion anyway...

Stelly

Associate
The 805 runs quite hot, and you will need a good m/b. The Asus 955x is the best for o/c.
I've tried my brothers 805 on three m/b's. and the chip would only do 3.4 on the gigabyte and the budget Asus board. On the Asus it did 3.8, 100% stable.

Temps using a Zalman 9500se were around 60.

My 920 on the same m/b clocked to 3.7 runs at 44-47 full load. The 920 will prime @ 4gig, but for some strange reason it can't run superpi 6 times in a row, so I guess thats the limit of the chip.

I have 2 amd's 3700+ @ 2.65 and a 3000 @ 2.4, and I got to admit, the intel feels faster. even though superpi on the 3700 is quicker. Duel core is really nice to work with when Multi tasking.

When the conroe's come out, I'll be looking for another duel core chip to replace the 3700+

Just remember the 805, does run a lot warmer, and with the intel hsf you can expect temps in the 70's.

Bob

Associate
harris1986 said:
I'm just thinking whether it would be worth upgradeing to a intel 805D and overclocking that nicely and getting a high end intel motherboard that will be conroe compatable in the future?

Still much speculation and rumor running around regarding Conroe support for current 975x motherboards. Let me take a moment to clear the air for all, once and final. Listen up!

1) Boards based on the 975X chipset, available for sale right now, are NOT Conroe compatable, nor will they be with just a BIOS update. The reason why is that the current boards all have a PWM buck controller that does not support VRM revision 11. At the very least a small revision to the board will need to be made along with a new BIOS. End of story.

2) 965X boards, available for sale soon, will all be Conroe compatable. These are being designed to support Conroe from release. They will most likely arrive in market before comparable 975X boards and well before Conroe is available to the public.

3) If you plan on running Conroe later this summer. DO NOT buy a 975X board now with the hope that a BIOS will be made that makes your Conroe drop-in compatable. Now, if you are buying a 975X board for other reasons, knock yourself out.

Source

Soldato
OP
agreed, looks like i'm going to go x2 route for a bit then :) or mite even settle back for a 3700+ all depends on how much my 148 goes for on the bay (currently at £80 with 3 and a bit days remaining so looking promising :))

Soldato
OP
urm not entirely sure hopefully around £120 but i'd be lucky as it's faulty but it's a good sign that it's got bids and 10 peeps watching with 2 days remaining! cpu's don't usually get bidded on until the last day or so

Back
Top Bottom