MGS

Soldato
right im sure this may shock and upset many of you but ive never played a MGS game and was looking at it the other day an it looked kinda cool, i have an xbox PS2 and GC and was wondering where would it be best to start, with the latest one or with the first one :confused:

all opinions welcome thanks a lot

Caporegime
bakes0310 said:
play snake eater first as thats the first one then play twin sakes followed by mgs2 that way the story is in the right order. :)
Ignore this post. MGS3 was made to be played after MGS2 despite being a Prequel. Always play games in the order they were released as this is how the developer wants you to see the games.

Soldato
play snake eater first as thats the first one then play twin sakes followed by mgs2 that way the story is in the right order.
yeh but i think you enjoy the story more in number three knowing what you know from number 1.

The games were released in that order for a reason, so play them in that order :)

Soldato
play it how you want but if you do it my way then it feels like the story is a follow on to the next game and so on.
you could play it in order of development like mgs twin snakes, mgs2 then mgs snake eater thats how i done it, but not by choice as i got them on release.

Soldato
The first one remade on the GameCube.

I disagree - get the original PS1 version. The GC version is ruined by the length of the cut-scenes (a theme that runs through all of the current gen MGS games).

The original PS1 version is the only one I've bothered to complete multiple times. Great game. :)

Soldato
Well you could get MGS3 subsistence and play the original 2 metal gear games (these are NES era games) and then play MGS1,2 and 3. That way you're playing them in release order.

Soldato
vaultingSlinky said:
saying that im not sure you have a ps1, so definately play the first one on the gamecube.
Well the PS2 should be able to play MGS1 but I've heard it doesn't work properly. Apparently it hangs on the end credits so you can play through the game but you can't unlock any of the secrets. And you don't get to hear the conversation after the credits.

Soldato
JUMPURS said:
MGS on PS1 then MGS3 then MGS TTS on Gamecube ;) ignore the 2nd one cos it sucks, looks pretty, but just a badddd game, bloody raiden, although he kicks butt in 4 lol
It is important to the story though. I doubt MGS4 will make much sense without having played 2.

Soldato
Tunney said:
The GC version is ruined by the length of the cut-scenes (a theme that runs through all of the current gen MGS games).

Why is it?
That's one of the great things about MGS games for me,how cinematic they are,the lengthy cutscenes are part of that.
I don't see how long cutscenes can annoy people or 'ruin' a game(maybe when you're going through it again,but then you can just skip it)
You're not gonna enjoy MGS4 then as Kojima said he is trying to wrap everything up in this one,so expect lengthy dialogue and many cutscenes

The OTTness of the cutscenes can be a little distracting in the remake,makes Snake seem like a superhero(probably down to Kojima not having much to do with it).

MGS2 was fantastic in my opinion(get substance if possible-get to play as Ninja Raiden).MGS3 was even better

Anyone know if they are releasing the limited edition of MGS3:subsistence with the MGS3 cutscenes + added cutscenes made into a movie on a seperate disc is released in PAL?

Soldato
That's one of the great things about MGS games for me,how cinematic they are,the lengthy cutscenes are part of that.
I don't see how long cutscenes can annoy people or 'ruin' a game(maybe when you're going through it again,but then you can just skip it)

If I wanted to watch a movie, I'd put on a DVD. The whole point of video games is that they're interactive.

Half-life managed to deliver the whole story without the player ever being taken out of the action. I wished more games followed that philosophy.

In MGS2, I spent more time watching the cut-scenes than actually playing the game. To me that seems wrong. It was a shame too, because what gameplay there was in the game was excellent.

Associate
vaultingSlinky said:
Then me and my brother got it, and we both completed it multiple times. Its fantastic. MGS2 was alrite but not a touch on the first imo, and i just couldnt get into mgs3. But then again my interest in games usually wains with sequel/prequels...

Totally agree, i got the first one on release for the ps1 and it was fantastic. Was the first proper cinematic experience in a game i'd had, played over it multiple times, even not so long ago (a few months) and i was amazed how after the first hour or so i was just engrossed into it. I love hi-def graphics as much as the next guy but i was just totally absorbed.

Played mgs2 and enjoyed the tanker mission, but the rest kind of got old fast somehow, yet mgs1 still seems fresh.

Played mgs1: twin snakes on the gamecube for the first time tonight. Although the cut scenes are fantastic to watch, they do kind of bring you out of the game somehow, hard to explain. But i find the more simplistic gameplay in the original ps1 version to be a lot more fun... attack teams and radios and hold ups and tranq guns and stuff are cool, but i find it a bit too much. Too hard maybe.

I'd still say go for mgs1 on ps1 for the best experience.

Back
Top Bottom