AS Exam Timetable Rant

Soldato
I'm doing AS levels in a few weeks.

Am I the only one to think that, at this level, having 7 hours of exams in one day is slightly unfair? Do the exam boards employ morons to come up with these timetables?

I honestly believe my performance will be dramatically reduced for the last few exams, as will my concentration. This effectively jeopardises my chances of doing well. What’s more is that they could have put Maths and Physics together, two exams that require a similar state of mind. The cretins instead decide that it’d be a laugh to put economics and physics together instead.

I appreciate that there are much more irritating, difficult exam challenges ahead but I just think it’s harsh to put a 17 year old through 7 hours of exams in one day.

I'm absolutely furious tbh.

Associate
stop whining, every year has had to have physics and economics together..

and its not 7hours.. (at least i dont think it was it was only eco 123 and 2 physics papers afaik)

and maths and physics can't got together due to stuff like further maths etc

Last edited:
Soldato
Pff - I had a 2hr30 geo exam in an morning and 4h30 of physics in the afternoon too last week (IB) - you'll live!

Just to run it in, just about everyone has finished IB exams now - I've just got 1 more hour of maths and 4 and a half hours of chem spread over 1 week and then I'm done ;)

Soldato
I had that too, its quite brain draining so make sure you revise hard and have good sleep, I dont know if you get a food shop or not though so dont forget your lunch!

Associate
my worst was AEA Economics and AEA Physics.. literally 6hrs :( but then i didnt actually sit the physics, couldn't be bothered in the end

edit @ zain

they arent even back to back.. 3 econs, about 3hours, bout1hr20min break then 2physics bout 2hours..

Soldato
That sounds really tough. I have five 2nd year degree exams over two weeks which I thought was pretty gruelling. Having exams on consecutive days is bad enough but having them in the same day sounds awful. Good luck to you. I hope your writing hand can take it. I reccomend a nice gel pen or something that you don't have to press hard with - a biro will kill you.

Soldato
I'm really quite hacked off at whatever morons decided to screw up the R.S. exams. It used to be 3 separate 45 minute exams, which would be fine with me. However, those idiots decided to shorten each exam to just 30 minutes to make it "easier" for us (which is rubbish - I'd much rather have more time so I can write a decent answer). After doing this, they realised it would only be 3 hours in total and thought "Hey! We can stick them all together as one exam now!".

And on top of that, I have a 3 hour computing exam on the same day... completely opposite subjects as well :mad:

Soldato
spirit said:
edit @ zain

they arent even back to back.. 3 econs, about 3hours, bout1hr20min break then 2physics bout 2hours..

Yeah but in the 1 hour 20 mins you're supervised. Oh no, thats because we had an exam that had already taken place due to the clash :p

Soldato
OP
Scientific research shows that optimum concentration lasts around 15 minutes, not 420 minutes.

At any level, or at any exam, you should not have to sit that many hours in one day.

Associate
Tommy B said:
Am I the only one to think that, at this level, having 7 hours of exams in one day is slightly unfair? Do the exam boards employ morons to come up with these timetables?
I thought that 6 hours worth of exams in a day is considered acceptable by the exam boards, but any more than this then you can ask for them to be separated. I'd speak to someone at your school/college if I were you.

Associate
Galaxy said:
I thought that 6 hours worth of exams in a day is considered acceptable by the exam boards, but any more than this then you can ask for them to be separated. I'd speak to someone at your school/college if I were you.

Yeah i was told this too. If you have more than 6 hours exams you can spend the night at a teachers house and then take the rest the next day. During that period you can have no external communication. So it would be a huge pain in the bottom. But my teacher at college did say that it had been done several times before.

Associate
Galaxy said:

thats if they are back-2-back afaik..hence not applicable in this case.

Back
Top Bottom