Overheating?! Arctic Cooling Freezer 64

Associate
Hi, was just after some help/advice.

I have a Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro on a socket 754 3700+ and all has been well for a while, I remember checking when I 1st built and my cpu temp was a tad over 30C.
Ive recently found my PC has started rebooting, and the temp seems to be around 70-80C :eek: - thats high right? Happened 3 times now, always under heavy load (games). Is 70C hot enough to kill a CPU? Is that likely to be the cause of my reboots?

Could something have happened to the fan to hamper cooling performance?
Could it be because Ive moved my PC to a "hide away" PC desk - it is open backed and with the same wall clearence as ive had in the past (10cm maybe), so i wasnt expecting a huge diff?!
Would installing a case fan help lower the CPU temp (I got a free one with my PSU)? I have a ICEQ cooler on my x800xl that passes air out the back.
Could it be that we're heading into summer and now that my room isnt -5C Im hitting probs ;)!

Not sure what to do next, re-attach the cooler? Get a new one (is there anything better?)? Try relocating the box? Add a new fan?

Many thanks.

Soldato
Take it out the hideaway pc thing :eek:

That could be your main problem lol.

If temps are still an issue, then reseat the cooler with a small blob of arctic silver 5

Associate
ive just returned a bad Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro as i was hiting high temps at stock on a opty 146, i also used arctic silver 5 and it didnt help any

if i was u i would get it replaced, as u might have a crap 1 like i had

--
from what i can tell the heatpipes were not doing the job, or the fan wasnt working to its full speed? im unsure

Last edited:
Soldato
When people say heatpipes blocked, i wouldnt think that would give bad temps tbh, its more like the base of the heatsink wasnt level and therefore the heat wasnt getting to the freezer.

Associate
OP
TaKeN said:
Please reply because i dont like trying to help, then recieve no feedback :(

hehe, the posts are very much appreciated!

I havent done anything yet, gonna have to be the weekend, I might try resetting it and giving the box a clean. The cooler is almost a year old and has done a great job in the past. The hideaway desk is a condition of having the PC in the living rom - you know what women are like - pfff ;)!

grrrr - how annoying! Actually the PC hasnt rebooted since - but the temp is still just over 70C after gaming - this is too high right?

Cheers all, Ill post back when I get round to looking at it, got to paint the spare room first though, again, you know what women are like - bah ;)!

Associate
OP
70 was nothing, it hit 90 after that... obviously the PC bacame totally unstable and im suprised it still works!

I found the problem: the plastic cpu fan mount had snapped - the little hooks that the fan clips round :(. Is that common?

Anyway I happened to have a spare one - think it came with the arctic cooler? So a quick replace and im now running at 34 :). Cleaned up and reapplied the arctic silver 5 too.

Thanks all :).

Associate
OP
its a 3700+ clawhammer socket 754. Im not a hardcore PC builder, only know enough to get these things up and running and not really worried about overclocking, temperature, etc. Well, until the PC became unusable lol!

Oh well, fingers crossed I havent killed the chip, its working again now - but for how long :confused:?! At least socket 754 chips are dirt cheap now! Im not upgrading again til' next summer :D :cool: .

Idle temp is around 30C, after a few hours of UT2k4 it's about 50.

Back
Top Bottom