Editing DVD-Ram on PC...

Soldato
I have dug out our old 8mm Camcorder and am intending to put the footage onto DVD.

The plan was to use the Panasonic DVD Recorder (Ram) to take the footage off of the camera.

Copy the footage from the Ram disc to the PC, edit on the PC then archive off onto DVD-R.

The PC reads RAM discs, thats not a problem.

Problem I do have is what to do with the Ram discs.

I was intending on using Windows Movie Maker but this doesnt seem able to open the VRO files as used by the RAM technology.

Any ideas on the best way to resolve this issue?

Cheers,

Chris

Associate
I have done this with one or two of my RAM disks , just copy the the contents of the disk to a folder and rename the file.I found a bit info on this a while back but just like the thing I cannot find it .I think you rename the file as a mpeg [or mpg ] .It's been a while since I did it , that's why I cannot remember .I'll hunt out the info and come back m8.

just found it :

Empty the DVD-Ram to your hard disk - the VRO file is the actual Mpeg file - It can be read
by Tmpgenc directly - if not, rename the extension to .mpg and it will be read by all software dvd players -

hope it helps .

Last edited:
Soldato
Its not as cheap but an easier method might be to buy a tv card, which comes with mpeg editing software?

I got the "Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP" it comes with AV leads which you could connect to your camera. It comes with "Ulead VideoStudio 8" which allowed me to trim, fade and add menus etc, it does a lot more things not sure what but I dont need the extras.

Just an idea

Soldato
OP
Windows Movie Maker cannot open the video part of the file, even when renamed to MPEG.

If I used a DVD-RW in the DVD Recorder instead of ram what format would everything be in? Video_TS folder?

Associate
I have never used Movie Maker , so ,cannot help you there . I use everything else in the software line though without any problem. My old Phillips DVDR-70 wrote to disk and the finished result on DVD+R/RW were .vob files . Again , I just copied the contents of the disk to a folder on the hard drive to work with . Some software actually work with .vob files , others you have to encode to .avi or mpg to import in a video editing software. One thing I did notice with the Phillips , it created a .vob file every 45 minutes [I used the recorder set at 4 hours], so it meant you had to shorten or add the files to create the part you wanted.If you use the right software you shouldn't have any problems with the renamed .mpg files. I have tried it and it works .I recorded 5 mins of bike racing from the TV onto a RAM disk , copied it over to the PC , renamed it and I think I used Sonic to write it to DVD and it was OK.

Soldato
OP
Right, I now have my DVD-Ram video file in the Video_TS folder as .vob etc.

What is the best method to edit this now? I would like to chop up the video, take bits out etc.

I don;t really want to convert it unless I have to and if I do would want to convert it without any loss in quality as it's going to end up back on MPEG2 on DVD anyway.

Associate
You'll not be able to do anything without the appropriate software .I dont think movie maker will do much other than basic stuff and we know it wont open vro & vob files.Your going to have to get something that does.I know VideoRedo Plus opens and edits vob's & mpg's coz I use it and it's very good .The problem you have with vob files are that there the finished result. Once you've made your movie in Ulead/Pinnacle/Vegas or whatever when it write's to disk ,the program encodes the files to vob's first before putting them onto the DVD disk . I've had to encode my vobs to avi's or mpg's for editing before import them into my editing program .

Soldato
What's a good program for converting a vob file to a dv avi file or using the avi settings of my choice, I've got some dvds that I want to convert to avi but can't find a program that will let me convert to something I edit with.

Associate
I haven't got my editing PC's on at the moment to look but I think it DVDdecrypter .But ,theres a few that will do this.I clipped a DVD or rather part of it to put onto my SPV .It was the ganster movie Miller's Crossing , if anyone's seen it ,you'll know the bit I mean when these two hoodlums break into the guvnor's mansion , it's a fantastic piece of action , bullets flying everywhere .Anyway I wanted to rip that part just to say I could and encode it for my phone .I turned the vob into a mpg and encoded it to 200x 160 I think and I used Dvddecrypter.It came out great.Of course ,ripping is a dodgy subject ,but seeing it wasn't the whole film and it was for education purposes I hope I'm alright . :)

ps . I just looked , I'm positive I used DVDencrypter , but theres also DVD2avi ,that worked but altered the picture size and theres VCD Cutter XP , I'm positive this opens vob's too .

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tesla said:
What AVI settings are exactly the same as DVD?

Well technically you can't get the same as dvd because dvds are mpeg-2 while avi cant contain mpeg2 because avi is old and crappy.

If you mean quality wise then youd be looking at something like 1Mbps H.264 or 1.5Mbps Xvid.

I reccomend using virtual dub. It can edit and convert vob files.

Back
Top Bottom