Installed FC5, but no boot loader?

Associate
Hi all,
My system has 3 hard drives:
1) Primary 160GB (2 NTFS partitions)
2) Secondary 20GB
3) Backup 60GB

I have installed Fedora Core 5 on drive 2), but it appears to have not bothered putting a bootloader on hard drive 1). Can I install one manually, or can I use the XP Startup / Recovery options to add a line into the boot sequence to load FC5?

Cheers,
Matt

Soldato
Hiya,
Find yourself a LiveCD and bootup. (Just about anything should do)
Then from the terminal you want to manually setup Grub-
sudo grub
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd0)

Not totally certain of your drive mappings here, but this should work- hd1,0 refers to the primary partion of the second drive where you've installed FC5. hd0 should with any luck be your Windows drive. (I'm reasonably certain that what the FC5 install has done is to setup Grub on hd1 (The Linux drive), but not hd0 which is the primary boot device.

If it complains that it can't find /boot/grub/stage1 then you've got a slightly non-standard partition mapping/ boot setup- You'll want to run
to list the drives and partition types from the normal terminal (Not the grub terminal), and then use the appropriate numbering from there.

It also ought to be possible to set the BIOS to boot from the FC5 drive first, from which Grub can chainload the WinXP drive, but its better to setup Grub on hd0.

Apologies if you know some of this already, better to be certain ;)

-Leezer-

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom