Cable sleaving kits?

Permabanned
Hello, well I have the Seasonic 600w, right...

Well tis arriving tomorrow, I presume its going to be the one which isn't sleaved.

What cable sleaving ktis are there are they hard to install, also whats the "heatshrink tubing" ?

Isnt it just one sleave which goes over, as on ocers it is described very easy to isntall without having to take off the molex connectors. They say the following :

Vantec Cable Sleeving Kit - Black (CA-001-VA)
The inside of a computer case is usually a mess of cables and wires. Power cables get tangled up and loose wires can be damaged from fans or other jagged edges inside the case. The Vantec Cable Sleeving Kit is the ideal way to eliminate these problems. The braided sleeve is expandable up to 150%, making it easy to slip over any plugs or connectors. Made of flexible material, the Vantec Cable Sleeving Kit will not break or crack. Sleeving your cables not only makes the inside of your computer look cleaner, it will also improve airflow, reducing the heat inside the case. The Vantec Cable Sleeving Kit is also ideal for bundling cables and wires outside your case as well.

Thanks guys, also what do you recommend ! :) Got a Sunbeam Samurai case by the way, I bruoght it before I knew abot OCERS so dont take the mick! :p

Soldato
IMO you need to take off the molex connectors, otherwise the cables end up all big, and that means IMO it looks crap, and with heatshrink you'd need large heatshrink to go over, and then when you melt it it will NOT hold the cable braid properley and it will all be loose, simply because the heatshrink can only shrink to a certain diameter.

Its time consuming, but worth it in the end. Dont be lazy and put the sleeving over the connectors, ive done it and i regretted it as its looks crap.

Btw, heatshrink is black plastic, and you use a lighter / heat gun to shrink it - there are plenty of tutorials around if you look.

gl,

G

Associate
Be prepared to remove the ATX 12, 20/24v and the molex sockets. As previously mentioned its extremely time consuming. I have recently learned that if you add a cable tie just before the ATX/Molex connector the heatshrink will mould to this proportion and hold resulting in a neater, more stable finish.

One tip: Singe the ends of the required brade with a lighter, this will stop the chord splitting and shredding when fitting it over the cable(s).

To remove the molex connectors its best to get a molex removal tool instead of using a pair of sewing needles, using this method takes ages and means lots of fiddling around... a fine art I have yet to get to grips with. :(

If anyones found an ATX connector removal tool in the UK please let me know or if you have an old one your willing to sell. :D

Permabanned
OP
Just brought 6m of spiral wrap :)

Easy installation aparently, so 3m of 8mm spiral black
3m of 16mm spiral black (for larger cables)

So, :)

Brought 3m as you can never have too much :) May use for another rig too lol

Associate
Go to your local highstreet electronics shop and they do sleeving kits, thats what i used on one of my power supplies.
As for the fitting it is time consuming but worth it, with the main ATX 20/24 lead dont remove the wires all you have to do is bend each wire to 90 degrees as it comes out of the plug then wrap some tape round it and the sleeve will go over, saw it done like that on a site and tried it myself, works OK.

Back
Top Bottom