capacitor help

Gangster
Permabanned
i need to replace 3 16v 220uf caps in my freeview box because the tops have puffed out(but not leaking). what values can the replacements be ? i know they can be more uf's but by how much i dont know :confused: ive a few dead mobos i thought i could pinch a few off, some 6.3v 1000uf although voltage might be too low!

Gangster
Permabanned
OP
KotFM said:
Don't use caps with a lower voltage rating, otherwise it's roman candle time:).
I'd stick to using the same value in microfarads if I were you.

well i might not have any that are 220uf.

also the circle on the pcb that u solder them to, is the shaded half the positive side of the cap ?

Soldato
16 volt 200 picofarads sound like signal smoothing types, I wouldn't change the value at all if it was me.

Might induce some wierd effects on tuning or image quality depending on where they're at.

If they're in the power supply (rectifier) area, they can be just about anything.

But in any of the sections mentioned, DO NOT go with a lower voltage. A little higher is ok, but only up to about 24 or 25 volts. I wouldn't go any higher than 30 volts. As for the farad value, I wouldn't go 10% either way if they're in the tuner or video area, 50% in the power supply.

Gangster
Permabanned
OP
Mickey_D said:
16 volt 200 picofarads sound like signal smoothing types, I wouldn't change the value at all if it was me.

Might induce some wierd effects on tuning or image quality depending on where they're at.

If they're in the power supply (rectifier) area, they can be just about anything.

But in any of the sections mentioned, DO NOT go with a lower voltage. A little higher is ok, but only up to about 24 or 25 volts. I wouldn't go any higher than 30 volts. As for the farad value, I wouldn't go 10% either way if they're in the tuner or video area, 50% in the power supply.

well the picture rolls and flickers quite often, so they must be there to smooth the signal.

KotFM The shaded bit is usually the negative, as far as I am aware. <--- well the caps have a band down the side thats soldered to the shaded part of the circle and asfaik caps only had the positive side identified by a longer leg or a + symbol.
i dont really want to solder some in the wrong way :p

Back
Top Bottom