nintendo wii ( sounds pants but *** a console )

Associate
just checked out the wii at ninty .com and it sounds even better than i originaly thought . The games look mint , the controller looks amazin .Everybody agrees that f.p.s. games are best on p.c .That controller looks awsome . I just hope the controller works as good as they hope . Gone are the days when you and 3 of your mates ( or your kids )sit down and have a game of mario tennis , now there gonna be all over your furniture to catch the ball . roll on christmas im orderin 2

by the way 2 nintendo wii s = 300 quid (aprox ) 1 ps3 =350/400 quid

NO CONTEST

Soldato
millions of threads like this, we've had a big one discussing their new name, was quite the talk of the gaming world last week. I personally think it's a lot better than the name revolution, as its more exotic and sounds fun. The controller, if implemented well in games should be great, although i hope its quite rigid.

All in all, good choice by them, and I don't think the price will be that much imo, although if it has been confirmed then I missed that but yeh, threads galore on here. :)

Soldato
Dont know about an entirely new thread for this, sounds like an E3 impression, but:

The wii does look very inventive. However, i read IGN earlier who have had some major hands on time with the system and they say that Red Steel game doesnt look half as good as the renders we saw, in addition to the controller is very reactive when using it and it really is difficult to use/not as intuitive as you might first think.

Im going to wait for some personal opinions before i get too involved as the xbox 360 is still the best looking next gen console for me. Crazy considering their product is already out etc, but its all about Live. I didnt see anything from Nintendo or Sony about a comprehensive service as good as Live... its like they dont want to compete with it, and frankly, its now a huge console factor.

Soldato
gord said:
Im going to wait for some personal opinions before i get too involved as the xbox 360 is still the best looking next gen console for me. Crazy considering their product is already out etc, but its all about Live. I didnt see anything from Nintendo or Sony about a comprehensive service as good as Live... its like they dont want to compete with it, and frankly, its now a huge console factor.

Some opinions here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1873297

Soldato
Yeah, reading about the hands-on time with the Wii is showing how people are not so sure the controller 'just works', as Nintendo claims. The question is, after some practice, do games benefit from that controller? Although many people were impressed with the Wii and its games, for something that was meant to be totaly pick-up-and-play, not everybody was getting it.

Soldato
From what I gathered people were complaining because they couldn't master the game immediately but they said they were comfortable with it after 2 minutes. Sounds good enough to me.

Permabanned
Caustic said:
Yeah, reading about the hands-on time with the Wii is showing how people are not so sure the controller 'just works', as Nintendo claims. The question is, after some practice, do games benefit from that controller? Although many people were impressed with the Wii and its games, for something that was meant to be totaly pick-up-and-play, not everybody was getting it.

Yeah, i thought the idea behind the controller was that no practice would be needed. If ya gotta practice then it's just another controller. And hinging a whole console around a gimmick like that cant be good.

Soldato
Wooaaah.

With regards to the "it's not pick up and play brigade" - nobody ever said games like Metroid, Zelda, Red Steel etc would be pick up and play. New ways (and arguably better ways) to play is the way forward with these games. Lets face it, what non-gamer will look to buy Metroid, or would even attempt it. I would argue however that the pad gives a whole new scope to playing an FPS style game. Read Matt Casamassina's IGN Wii round-up; he says Metroid could be the way to play an FPS and sets a new benchmark.

However, it's unquestionable games such as the WiiSports series, Excite Truck, Wario and even possibly Mario are incredibly accessible games - just as Nintendo has suggested. And these are the games to bring new games players to the gaming world.

Soldato
WatchTower said:
I bet many will return to their childhood gaming roots with Nintendo Wii. The best console contole pad ever created for FPS I think was the Nintendo 64 pad.

Im inclined to agree and with that too it took me a good week or two to become any good with it.

Associate
You must bear in mind that it will take some time to become acustomed to the controller. I'm quite sure you could master the use of it after a few hours gaming.

Commissario
player said:
You must bear in mind that it will take some time to become acustomed to the controller. I'm quite sure you could master the use of it after a few hours gaming.

Very true - the same is true for all new control systems though :)

I suspect most games will take that into account, in the same way they do at the moment with things like Zelda and Metroid gradually making you use more controls to do different things on conventional pads.

No game is really "pick up and play" unless it's really simple, however I suspect the Wii controller will be the easiest one for "new" gamers to get used to - my mum can barely use a mouse, but can use the DS touch screen as it's more natural to her than a mouse, the Wii controller will hopefully take that to a new level.
Things like the tennis demo give an idea of that ease of use, anyone who has ever seen a tennis game would instinctively have an idea how to use the wiimote, and that is the first hurdle in getting new people to play (as opposed to having to get used to holding a controller the right way, hitting the right button at the right time to hit the ball etc).

Those of use who are used to the limitations of normal controllers are possibly going to have a harder time of adapting to the system, as we'll no doubt be subconsiously ruling out control options because you couldn't do them on a traditional pad :p (rather like in Another Code on the DS some puzzles involved actions that whilst totally natural in the real world were new to games).

Soldato
After reading tonnes of IGN and getting the impression that the controller wasn't as good as you think its gonna be, and it still needs work, it struck me as odd that if you download the IGN video where all the various editors discuss who won E3, almost all of them (including X-box and Playstation) say Ninty won hands down and the controller is the best thing since sliced bread, and the wheel.... and fire (like round toast then I guess)

Just seemed like a massive turn-around from the impression I got all week long.

Soldato
muppet said:
just checked out the wii at ninty .com and it sounds even better than i originaly thought . The games look mint , the controller looks amazin .Everybody agrees that f.p.s. games are best on p.c .That controller looks awsome . I just hope the controller works as good as they hope . Gone are the days when you and 3 of your mates ( or your kids )sit down and have a game of mario tennis , now there gonna be all over your furniture to catch the ball . roll on christmas im orderin 2

by the way 2 nintendo wii s = 300 quid (aprox ) 1 ps3 =350/400 quid

NO CONTEST

So the Wii shall cost about 150? thats a pretty decent price. I think Nintendo know that a lot of people are going to buy it for their second system :)

Soldato
The price absoloutley 100% has not been announced yet.
I agree it will be low, but from what Iwata and Myamoto said at E3, don't expect official Nintendo confirmation on the price for at least another 3 months.

Caporegime
It would appear that anything less than £330 will ship them a lot of consoles. I would fathom it will cost more than the GameCube, less than an Xbox360, so £180.

Back
Top Bottom