Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe/Premium Drivers Question

Associate
Hi All,

I have an Asus A8N-Deluxe and would like to swop it for a board that offers stable HTT of over 285. I've heard that the A8N-premium board can do this - question is, if I changed my board for the premium version, would I need to reinstall winXP pro, or would the same installation work (for reference the deluxe board would be relegated to home server duties).

Cheers

Joust

Don
A8N Premium boards aren't garaunteed to hit 285+. Many (if not most) top out in the 270-280 range.

As for if you did swap it, I think you would probably get away without re-installing Windows without too much problems but I can't be 100%.

Jokester

Don
Gashman said:
so why do so many people rabbit on about how 'great' those motherboards are at overclocking, surely MSI and DFI boards are superior?

I would say so. I've seen numerous reports from people (including myself) that can't get these boards to work stabley over 280MHz.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great board, passively cooled, plenty of space when using SLI, decent clocker, but if you're looking for say 300MHz+ it's not for you.

Jokester

Associate
With my Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe, I couldn't get it totally stable at 250 with 1T. I moved over to a DFI Ultra-D and I've ran it at those settings since I got it no problem. Decided I don't really need to overclock at all so going back to a Asus Premium because the layout is more suited to my case (Antec P180).

Associate
OP
Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the responses so far. Really I just want another S939 board, but doing it the easier way. I want to create a home media server (for all my CD's and DVD's) so that everybody can have access at any time, the A8N-deluxe fits the bill perfectly with all its IDE/SATA ports and GB ethernet. I thought that if I replace it with a premium board (which is also supposed to be quiter and offer more stable HTT) I would have less hassle in replacing it in my current set up.

Any more views?

Joust

Associate
ok mate, if you buy a premium and just swap it for your deluxe it'll work straight away as all the drivers are the same for both. just make sure you are running the most up to date on everything before swapping out the deluxe.

i know cos i did it.

as for the not stable over 270/280 htt thing.....i've said it before and i'll say it again.........it's not the board it's a combination of memory and cpu.

i've found asus boards to be especially picky over memory and put it down to poor bios writing/support.

i used the exact same set-up with my deluxe and my premium and my deluxe was happy at 310 and my premium is happy at 315. the premium only buys you quietness and software switched sli over the deluxe.

Back
Top Bottom