The race to fitness thread !

Soldato
Well, Theres been a fair few threads in the last few weeks and months about getting fit, so I thought id try and document what im doing.

Currently I consider my fitness to be...ok... its not bad, but I want it to be better. I currently play 5 a Side football in goal on a Monday night, 7 a side football at least once a week (defence) and am about to start training for 11 a side sunday league starting in August (Right Back) However I really want to get my stamina and general fitness up... so I had a grand plan !

...Cycling to work....

Starting tomorrow on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday each week i'll be cycling the roughly 5 miles to work each day, and recording my times in an attempt to see how much time it takes to make a real fitness difference. (the reason for no cycling on wednesday is because we have football at 5pm, and its too far to contemplate cycling at the moment)Im expecting pretty noticable improvements within 2 weeks (me generally feeling better) but probably well over a month until I start getting decent time reductions. I did a test of the journey this morning, and it took roughly 30 minutes each way, which considering ive not done that sort of distance cycling since about 2002 Im reasonably happy with. Pictures of the bike along with me looking stupid in shorts and t-shirt at 6:50am tomorrow morning will follow ....

My somewhat genius plan is that after the fitness thread others will give this a go, and we can try and combine results to see just how long it takes for basic exercise to make you start getting fit.

To try and keep things 'fair' and consistant day to day, I intend to eat a banana every morning before the cycle, and use either weak orange squash or just water for fluids.

Ive got a trusty £6.99 cycle computer on the bike which ill use for confirming the distance when I get round to setting it up properly this week, and ill use my mobile phone for timing the trips... im not so sure I need to worry about miliseconds at this time !

so... stay tuned, and hopefully this should get some of you guys and girls who are considering insane costs for gym membership to think again, dust off the bike and cycle instead ! wish me luck !!

Soldato
OP
well, day one went ok ! 28 minutes to, 23 minutes back (downhill all the way nearly :cool: )

not to bad at all, aim has got to be to get the 28 to 25 and the 23 to 20 though !

Soldato
I consider myself quite fit and healthy, but i don't do any kind of sports, just workouts and general activities. I might try going for a run every morning, theres a nice big field just behind my house and this is the perfect time of year for it as it gets light early. The greatest thing about it is that i actually want to do this, so i dont have to force myself.

Back
Top Bottom