Trying to remember a book from my childhood

Associate
I've tried searching but due to the lack of specifics that I can remember I have had no success in finding out the name of a book I remember reading as a kid. I think I was about 10 or 11 when I read it (12-13 years ago) but i pretty sure it was one of those "Young adult" books which are normally aimed at 13-15 year old.
I am hoping that if I describe what I remember, someone might have read the same book and be able to tell me what its called.

It starts with parents leaving their children in the car at the side of the road and walking off and leaving them (can't afford them?) Its a brother (Skip? Kip?) and a sister and I'm pretty sure the sister is older.
The kids end up making their way to a city where they have to hide from the authority (children police? labour camps? unsure on this point but I know they keep having to hide).
They meet another street kid who helps them out (think his name is Sky but not sure).
They end up leaving the city - think something happens to the kid brother so its just the girl and "Sky" heading towards the country - maybe just "Sky"?

I know its not much but its been bugging me for months now - anyone have any idea what I'm going on about? :o

Pho

Pho

Soldato
Can I hijack this thread, too :o. I remember some book about a floating island which, well, just floated around and stuff, that's about all I can remember. I don't think I really even liked it, but it's annoying me I can't remember the name.

Soldato
Pho said:
Can I hijack this thread, too :o. I remember some book about a floating island which, well, just floated around and stuff, that's about all I can remember. I don't think I really even liked it, but it's annoying me I can't remember the name.

Was it noahs island?

Man of Honour
Mint_Sauce said:
Anyone else remember Robin Red Hat and Billy Blue Hat etc? No one else my age (26) seems to have read those books :/
WOAH WOAH NO WAY!

Those books were awesome, hoorah, SOMEONE ELSE knows them! YAY! :D

Edit - and it was roger red hat ;)

Soldato
Takhisis, I know the book you are after, I read it when I was 11/12 in first year at Grammar School. I'll hunt the title for you. :)

Soldato
Mint_Sauce said:
Anyone else remember Robin Red Hat and Billy Blue Hat etc? No one else my age (26) seems to have read those books :/

Thats the same as me... I read those books in primary school but no one else has heard of them and they think I'm weird. Another good one I read at primary school was the Glurp, about a big grey blob thing that ate animals until it got really fat then spat all the animals out. No one else has heard of the Glurp either:(

Man of Honour
A really rubbish book was 'Where all the wild things are' or something. About this boy in a wolf suit that goes to this magic island of monsters.... aweful!

Now bangers and mash, that was quality.

Soldato
Whilst we are on the subject of "books from childhood" can anyone remember a book that when bits of the pages hidden,, so when you turned the page it revealed the full picture, I remember it being on a farm? (i think) also vaguely remember it being in a shed? :confused:

Ring any bells?

Associate
Nitefly said:
A really rubbish book was 'Where all the wild things are' or something. About this boy in a wolf suit that goes to this magic island of monsters.... aweful!

awesome more like!

And when he got back his supper was still warm!

I remember Roger Red Hat etc, as well as various colours of pirates, Tim and the Hidden People and The *name of a boiled sweet I think* Man all from school.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom