Clio 172 buying Q

Soldato
Hi,

Was in a car supermaket with a mate looking at golf 150 TDI's when I spotted a nice looking Clio 172 phase 2 sitting all alone. It's silver, has 63k on the clock, was 02 reg. The service history was dealer up to 20k then smaller private every 10k or so up till now, average services where £200-300 with no major work being needed. The alloys are slightly scuffed but nother major, all body work in good nick etc.

Two things, it was missing it's mats inside unless they keep them out of the cars, the wires that went to a CD changer was in the back without one (not sure if they are std) and with the ignition on but the engine off there was a slight whine near the engine from the fuel pump? is this normal?

They have it at £6200 which is very low according to parkers, would probably pay £5k with a trade in on my 5 turbo (a bit tatty so probably only worth £1k ish). Does this sound like a good deal?

Last edited:
Soldato
£6200 for an 02 reg with 63k on the clock low, lol you have got to be joking. I've just sold my 51 reg (so about 6 months older than the one you've seen as it was Dec registered), with 40k on the clock and FRSH for £5500. It should have been worth about £5700 really but it needed the cam belt doing so that was a reasonable price.

The reason that it has no mats is probably because they standard ones are rubbish and wear out very easily!

Also the CD changer is standard, there should be a 6 cd changer under the passenger seat.

If all the services are low with no major work being doing then it sounds like it also nearly needs the cam belt to be done also, it's at 70k or 5 years which ever is sooner. If it hasn't had that done then that will set you back ~£500 depending on where you get it done. It will also need it's next major service at 72k (with the 1st being at 36k), which should also cost you £200/£300.

Also if you want the alloys re-furbing that will set you back about a ton.

Another thing to look out for is the condition of the exhaust, the renault one is terrible, I've heard stories of people having 3 by the time they've done 15k, that's why when mine went I had a custom made stainless steel one fitted.

Just be aware that there are a lot of them about at the moment, and by the sounds of it better than the one you were looking at ie. alloys in perfect condition and cam belt etc done. But if you do find a good one that has been looked after they are excellent cars :cool:

Last edited:
Soldato
That does sound very expensive to me

It's high mileage with a fair few problems

When I was looking you could get 2002 models with average mileage for about £5k. I considered them as an alternative to the ZR but the insurance quotes killed that idea off!

Soldato
OP
lol yeah, haven't looked at prices for a while, got excited there but after some browsing yeah that's a bad deal :p

Mm, might need to buy one soon

Soldato
DanF said:
lol yeah, haven't looked at prices for a while, got excited there but after some browsing yeah that's a bad deal :p

Mm, might need to buy one soon

Yeh, don't think it'd win bargain of the year award!

If you can find a well looked after one they are excellent cars, just the same as any other car really look at things like service record, had all the major work it needs doing at the correct intervals and you can't really go wrong.

Soldato
OP
Yeah the engine is totally fine, still pulls strong. There's some rust though, should all be fixable if you looking for a project car. Drop me an email if you like, I'll send you the specs on it (a few nice mods).

Back
Top Bottom