Multiple install of XP with one product key?

Caporegime
I currently have my machine set up with two accounts, I'm thinking of partitioning my drive and setting up dual boot, basically one O.S. for games & silly stuff, the other for more serious work.

In a nutshell, am I allowed to do this? as, I'd only be using one O.S. at any given time.

Thanks.

:)

Soldato
As far as i remember you can Activate Windows XP twice before you need to call MS and get a new product ID.

So yes you should be fine although next time you re-install XP youll need to contact an MS representative.

Associate
Curiosityx said:
As far as i remember you can Activate Windows XP twice before you need to call MS and get a new product ID.

So yes you should be fine although next time you re-install XP youll need to contact an MS representative.

You can activate it many more times than 2.

I once had a problem with my pc, reinstalled XP about 30times in a period of 2days and thats when i had to call up with that key (its now fine again though and they didnt ask any questions)

Soldato
If you reinstalled the OS 30 times in 2 days - why were you attempting to activate the product each time?
The OS runs for 30 days without the need to activate.
Activating that often is just potentially causing yourself issues.

Caporegime
OP
Ok, I'll give it a go,

FWIW, I've re-installed about 4 times since I got XP, thus far, I've been able to activate online with no problems.

^^ Should'nt have tempted fate there me thinks! :o ^^

Thanks guys. :)

Associate
stoofa said:
If you reinstalled the OS 30 times in 2 days - why were you attempting to activate the product each time?
The OS runs for 30 days without the need to activate.
Activating that often is just potentially causing yourself issues.

'cause it seemed to be fine, but then after about an hour of being stable, whilst i was installing stuff, it just BSOD and then continue to BSOD...was due to my mobo not liking my ram in dual chan.. (took a while to figure that out was perfect in memtest86)

and perhaps they didnt ask anything 'cause it was same hardware id everytime :\ but they didn't.

Soldato
R124/LA420 said:
Ok, I'll give it a go,

FWIW, I've re-installed about 4 times since I got XP, thus far, I've been able to activate online with no problems.

^^ Should'nt have tempted fate there me thinks! :o ^^

Thanks guys. :)

Just copy the activation files WPA.dbl and WPA.bak to a floppy or a pen drive then copy them to the system32 folder on the new os and that should sort out the need to activate the second OS. As far as I know there is no limit on the amount of installs of windows that you have on a fixed machine.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

spirit said:
You can activate it many more times than 2.

I once had a problem with my pc, reinstalled XP about 30times in a period of 2days and thats when i had to call up with that key (its now fine again though and they didnt ask any questions)
Never heard of "burn in" ?? :p

Associate
Thinking about doing this myself. At the moment me & the missus have 2 accounts on the one XP install. As I don't trust her to keep out of my pron folder ;) I gave her a limited account. Unfortunately that causes problems sometimes when she wants to install things (ie some progs need to have administrator rights to install & run properly etc).

I have used dual boot before (ie win98 & XP) and with this sort of setup you get a choice when booting up as to which OS to use. Would you get something similar if you had 2 versions of XP on seperate partitions?

Soldato
Curiosityx said:

Thats the free student version.

Back
Top Bottom