• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Overheating issuse

Associate
Right, ever since i moved into my new apartment im having some major heating issuse with my entire PC.

But my main concern at the moe is that my x800 pro (club one flash to XT PE) is getting so hot that im starting to get display errors. It getting stupidly hot, so hot you unable to touch it after powering down the PC.

The main reason for this is that my new apartment is very warm, even when all the heating is off. Its a old mill and im on the top floor and basicly get all the heat from the whole building.

What can i do to fix this quickly? I know people will say "Buy a new Fan" but ive never looked into the gfx card cooling side of things as ive never really overclocked my gfx cards.

Also i take the side off my case to try and let it get cooler, but i think this is causing a problem. I have a huge 120mm Delta fan on my CPU (with a XP-120 heatsink) and when on full it blows out lots of cold air, i think with the side panel on it used to keep the gfx card a little cooler - nothing major but i think it may have helped a little?

Associate
Cases are often designed to have the air flow over the cards, by removing the side, you can break this and increase tempratures.

If you want a low-tech solution though (since a new Fan is hte way to go) get a deskfan, and point it through the open side of the machine, I did this for a while, and the temps were pretty good (as you'd expect).

Associate
OP
Yeah, my reasons for taking the side panel off was that the CPU was getting stupidly hot.

Bios was stating that the CPU was hitting 45 degrees, so i took the side panel off and then started getting VPU issuses :(

Im thinking of just getting a Arctic Cooler for it, i doubt the Arctic Cooling Rev.2 ATI 5 will fit the AGP version though so will need to find somewhere with the AGP version in stock.

Soldato
Moved my PC nearer a window which I can afford to leave open. The outake fan now faces the window as opposed to before when the PC was on the other side of the room, fan facing a wall. This has helped drop the temps by about 4°C & funny enough the room doesn't smell of PC exhaust (don't even ask) :o

EDIT: In a nutshell, something simple like rearranging your PC setup could surprisingly help than FAN changes/upgrades/etc.

Last edited:

kbc

kbc

Associate
Phunky said:
Wish i had that option, theres no window in my PC room :(

http://images.phunky.co.uk/BlackPhunky/PIc-0066.jpg

It just soaks up heat :/ guess ill have to get a better VGA cooler and a big ass fan pushing air outta the room.

Other option is to go with water cooling, but i dont like that idea!

No window? That's not going to help much temperature wise... summer's already here - unless you get some large fans and stick one on your desk and one next to your PC - it may help... Not forgetting your CRT there will make your room seem like a sauna when it get's hotter.

Air conditioning unit might be one drastic measure... :)

Associate
OP
Well there is a kinda window

http://images.phunky.co.uk/new house/PIc-0059.jpg

The light there is from my PC room, theres some crappy plastic in the beam work between my PC room and the bedroom. But as i say the whole apartment is just stupidly warm at times due to us being on the top floor :/

Will be nice in the winter! but its going to be a very very warm summer!

Why will my CRT make it feel like a sauna?

kbc

kbc

Associate
Phunky said:
Why will my CRT make it feel like a sauna?

CRT monitors get very warm in it's big box - in my experience it's like a big coal fire. I've had a CRT monitor coupled with my old AthlonXP 1700+ - and when they're together, the Summers would be dreadfully hot rising to about 30-40c in the room.

Associate
OP
Hmmm, i guess then the best bet for now would be to get a nice big room fan and see if that helps. Im going to need one anyway as even with the PC off its too warm up there for my liking.

Then i guess i can try a Artic cooler, if that dont work ill have to look into the dreaded water cooling option :/

kbc

kbc

Associate
Phunky said:
Hmmm, i guess then the best bet for now would be to get a nice big room fan and see if that helps. Im going to need one anyway as even with the PC off its too warm up there for my liking.

Then i guess i can try a Artic cooler, if that dont work ill have to look into the dreaded water cooling option :/

One way is to get one of these:

623944kf.jpg

Clamp it to your desk and tilt it to blow over your case.

Associate
OP
haha :) well i shall be buying a fan for the room anyway as it way to warm even when PC is turned off :(

Going to try and get hold of a new VGA cooler for it though, also put side panel back on case and it seems to have stop the VGA errors.

Back
Top Bottom