Oh Noes!!12 My Pc... :( (Contents Insurance)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Well looks like my PC is giving up the ghost. Got a message about the Graphics Card no longer responding to commands. Next thing i know my pc is randomly turning itself off, doesn't matter what i'm doing, could be browsing the net or watching a divx. So i'm guessing it's probably linked in some way to my graphics card.

However, (and the reason this is in GD instead of GH) my pc's probably not worth salvaging with a new Graphics card as it's fairly old and crap. So my question is, can i claim against my contents insurance for a new pc. if so how likely is the claim to be successful and what can i expect. Will they sort out a new pc for me, or do they give the money to buy one? Can i claim for a self-built pc? Will my reason of it randomly switching itself off be sufficient for a claim? How much will my premium go up (There's a £100 excess)? Should i tell them i dropped my pc?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Windle said:
Well looks like my PC is giving up the ghost. Got a message about the Graphics Card no longer responding to commands. Next thing i know my pc is randomly turning itself off, doesn't matter what i'm doing, could be browsing the net or watching a divx. So i'm guessing it's probably linked in some way to my graphics card.

However, (and the reason this is in GD instead of GH) my pc's probably not worth salvaging with a new Graphics card as it's fairly old and crap. So my question is, can i claim against my contents insurance for a new pc. if so how likely is the claim to be successful and what can i expect. Will they sort out a new pc for me, or do they give the money to buy one? Can i claim for a self-built pc? Will my reason of it randomly switching itself off be sufficient for a claim? How much will my premium go up (There's a £100 excess)? Should i tell them i dropped my pc?

Any help greatly appreciated!

I had a friend that go so angry with his computer he kicked the front of it in :p
They rang up insurance and said they dropped it and the insurance company paid up :D

Soldato
Doubtfull chap, it's wear and tear therefore i'm pretty sure it's not covered. If for instance it got dropped down the stairs or maybe dropped in the bath then it might be covered, depending on your policy.

Man of Honour
nope - insurance doesn't cover you for wear and tear and anything else that depreciates.

nice try though..

Zip said:
I had a friend that go so angry with his computer he kicked the front of it in :p
They rang up insurance and said they dropped it and the insurance company paid up :D

This is true if you had accidental cover but you are not likely to get much for it tbh..unless you proove it's value.

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
nope - insurance doesn't cover you for wear and tear and anything else that depreciates.

nice try though..

This is true if you had accidental cover but you are not likely to get much for it tbh..unless you proove it's value.

However, some policies have "Old for New", basically replace the item with the equivalent priced item at current prices :) (or something similar to that)

BeatMaster :D

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:

nice try though..

They got a better computer then they already had from it :D

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Zip said:

Thats fraud and the reason why insurance can be expensive.

Aod

Aod

Soldato
but this isn't classified as "wear and tear" the graphics card does not "wear away" with use.

technically PC's should work without fail, forever.
there is no wear and tear on PCs, except on things like Disk drives and the like

wnb

wnb

Soldato
Aod said:
but this isn't classified as "wear and tear" the graphics card does not "wear away" with use.

technically PC's should work without fail, forever.
there is no wear and tear on PCs, except on things like Disk drives and the like

What about the mb and components heating up and cooling down would that not be classed as wear and tear? Certainly over time it would be one of the reasons for a pc to fail.

Soldato
wnb said:
What about the mb and components heating up and cooling down would that not be classed as wear and tear? Certainly over time it would be one of the reasons for a pc to fail.
It is one of the reasons PC's fail. Basically metal fatigue in the solder joints and the like,

Aod

Aod

Soldato
but its not the mobo thats failing. also, do you really think that the Insurance company would understand electron-wear on solder beads?

Man of Honour
As you've accepted the answer, I'll close this. Don't want to leave it open to those suggesting fraud.

And, PS, it'll be either wear and tear (e.g. fan failure) or electrical breakdown (component failure). Neither of which are usually covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom