Fix my project PC!

Soldato
Right got a project PC in a an old and unwanted Lian Li PC70 case that all needs fixing up :)

Got all the internals sorted out and have:

Prescott 2.8
1GB of Geil Value RAM
ASUS P4P800
GF Ti4200/4600 (got both cards)
Enermax 470W PSU

This machine last worked decemberish last year when it was used for the final month of SETI crunching to beat the Germans :D

Since then it has been sitting around getting in the way and I have finally got around to trying to fix it up. However I have run into some problems.

When powered up the CPU fan spins, the case fans spin (and 1 of them lights up!) the CD Drive rumbles to life and the HDD fires up. The GFX card also starts making the usual noises. Unfortunately thats where the trouble starts :(

There is no output to the monitor what-so-ever. The light either stays orange or flashes between green and orange randomly. This happens on both the VGA and DVI connections - both GFX cards present the same problems.

Any ideas? I'm totally stumped.

Soldato
try another monitor - or try that monitor on another machine?

if you've ruled out the graphics card by swapping that - then the next logical step would be to rule out the monitor itself i guess....

Associate
Are you getting any post beeps?(important) try a cmos reset first with battery out for a min.The asus has integrated video right? tried that with another monitor too? all cabling is ok from case?(sometimes you have to reverse those hdd/led/pwrstch to get em to work).Then try a spare psu (no add on graphics/then with) with a barebones set up out of the case.

Soldato
OP
Monitor works fine on my dads PC both VGA & DVI inputs so I'm sure the monitors fine :)

The last monitor it worked on was mine so I'll try that but I doubt that'll make a difference...

Not sure if it has onboard video as it has been a while since I have used the board :o

Beep codes are a big no as well since the speaker on the case doesn't appear to work :/ - might try a different case though :)

Soldato
Well it looks like you've proved that the monitor isn't broken and that your video cards are not causing the problem.....

Next question would be:

Is there any possibility that the machine is outputting a resolution and/or refresh rate that that monitor doesn't suppport?

It would seem unlikely that that would cause nothing to be displayed - usually you get an "out of range" error, or just a distorted display...

Soldato
would it do that in bios though? i dont think it would cause bios doesnt run at the huge resolutions ;)
oh, and i had the exact same problem, strip it down to the bare neceesities, disconnect everything except 1 stick of ram in slot 1,heatsink, graphics card, and speaker on mobo so you can get the Post bleep at startup.

if this doesnt happen, find your manual and then take out bios battery and reset CMOS. put battery in after a while and test for post bleep. if this works reconnect everything.

this worked for me, thing is now i am getting random restarts during windows installation :(

good luck!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
CMOS reset appears to have done nothing. Moved the jumper and it powered on by itself :o

I pretty much gonna just smash this flippin' thing with a sledgehammer if I don't get some sort of useful results soon :(

Oh and the speaker refuses to make a sound (new case, new speaker) :/

Soldato
there could be lots of beeps that you aren't hearing, indicating your graphics card is either gone or your agp slot is gone. try the graphics cards in another pc (unless you already have). to be honest it sounds like the motherboard, as if the gfx works fine and the monitor works fine then the only thing between the gfx and the cpu is the motherboard. you might want to try another pc speaker as the beep codes could tell you the exact problem.

daven

Soldato
OP
I changed case to an old chieftec with a known working speaker that has failed to make a single noise :o

Might have the plug he wrong way round I guess.

Could it be possible that the PC isn't even reaching the stage of beep codes?

//edit: CPU seems to be making the heatsink nice and toasty so that seems to be working....

Last edited:
Associate
You`ve tried everything mate (bar different cpu and psu?) that mobo sounds so dead it doesn`t even protest.You could either take the mobo and cpu to local shop to test (i did for a fiver well spent to confirm doa diagnosis)
Or
Introduce the mobo to your large metal friend then readying credit card.Well it had it coming if you ask me :D .
Imagine if it was the cpu after doing that :eek: (just kidding)

Soldato
make sure the gfx card is seated incorrectly so the mobo definately will make some beeps, if it doesn't then im guessing the mobo is just dead as a dodo, if it does then it isn't dead!

Associate
I read before on a thread simillar to this that some motherboards will only make the error beeps through the onboard audio output and not through the speaker in your case.

other than that dunno what else to suggest that hasnt been already :/

Back
Top Bottom