DTS output within Media Center?

Suspended
I've got Dolby Digital working in Media Center - AC-3 filter, set to SPDIF, M-Audio set to digital. AV amp pickups up the signal.

Within Power DVD 6 if I select DTS the AV amp does lock onto the signal. But playing the DVD in Media Center and it's just PCM.

So how do I get the built in Media Player to output DTS? Do I need a DTS codec (like AC-3 filter?

cheers

Associate
What DVD decoder are you using?

The most popular seem to be the Cyberlink one and the Nvidia one and both will output DTS.

I'm only familiar with the Nvidia one and it's easy to set up.

Play a DVD in Media Center, minimize it so you can see the system tray and you will find the Nvidia icon.

Open it up and you will see the audio settings - set them to send all audio via SPDIF and both Dolby Digital and DTS will be sent straight to your SPDIF output rather than being processed in any way by your sound card.

You might need to make sure that the AC3Filter isn't interfering - un-check the relevant check boxes.

Suspended
OP
um I'm using a M-Audio Revoultion 5.1, not Nvidia soundcard, Nvidia is the graphics card not the soundcard (which is disabled and not being used, no digital output)

I've updated to latest AC-3 Filter, checked DTS, DD and Mpeg II under
System. Works in Power DVD but not Media Center (Media Player?)

Yay ! sorted it, went into MC Cyblerlink Audio settings and now works. I was sure set that earlier

Quick google search

For example, I wanted to test the sound with “Master and Commander” which has an incredible DTS sound mix. I could play the DTS sound mix using WinDVD outside of the Media Center window but could not get the same playback inside of Media Center. I would have to upgrade my soundcard for it to work with Media Center which is incredibly silly, I’ll watch it in WinDVD and…

Last edited:
Suspended
OP
yeah thanks I know require a DVD decoder, Power DVD 6 is installed and now everything is ok. :) locks onto DTS and is reported as 5.1 DTS.

edit I now need to get .MPG support in the Video section, got a MPG file and it doesn't add it to the thumbnail/playback. Works in Media Player though.

Last edited:
Associate
Put the following in a reg file to get all video types recognised:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.divx]
@="divxFile"
"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.ifo]
"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.iso]
"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.mov]