Playstation 2 game for 4 year old?

Associate
I think the time is right to introduce my 4 year old lad to a bit of gaming on the PS2, but have no idea what is out there for his age range that is decent.

Most of my games have some element of shooting or death in some way, so aren't really suitable.

Can anyone reccommend a decent game that he would find interesting?

cheers
pie

Zip

Zip

Soldato
Hawkpie said:
I think the time is right to introduce my 4 year old lad to a bit of gaming on the PS2, but have no idea what is out there for his age range that is decent.

Most of my games have some element of shooting or death in some way, so aren't really suitable.

cheers
pie

Onbe of the crash bandicutes? They are an easy game to get used to and play.
Or some driving game thats easy?
Kids love tekken, had my 2 little couzin rapped in it for hours on end.(they were 4 and 6)
How about Ape Escape? That doesnt seem bad if your too concerned about violence
But there is nothing wrong with a bit of shooting, just dont go get him a really gory game. Dont forget how much kids like violence and destruction when they are young.
Violent lil' creatures :p

Associate
Hawkpie said:

cheers
pie

Kids love all the shooting and death games, get him on vice city and watch his face light up...lol,, I started my boy on games like Zelda and Burnout but now hes hooked on BF2 single player, i hardly get a look in these days... If your worried about violence i think youll find it hard to find a game that doesnt involve killing or bashing something, apart from tetris or bubble bobble but they wont hold his attention for long..

BTW a lot of people recommended me a game called grabbed by the ghoulies for my son,, havnt got it yet though so dont know what its like but its supposed to be good,, :)

Soldato
I got my brother into gaming about 4 and now hes 9 and hes an amazing gamer he plays and got tonnes of consoles heres his gaming history if i can recall correctly:

Ratchet and clank
conflict desert storm 2
lord of the rings two towers
mario sunshine
supersmash brothers
gta vice city and san andreas
red faction
mario kart ds
sonic rush
mario soccer

He currently owns more consoles than me:
ps2
gamecube
pc
ds
psp- got it yesturday

As you can see hes a big gamer and one day will surpass me :)

Soldato
racing games are the easiest for them to control, got a lot of young cousins and a 8 year old sister, they all love GTA, just turn the sound off so you cant hear the swearing

Associate
OP
thanks guys

the missus isn't massively keen for gaming at all, so I have promised no swearing and minimal violence in the game, so a couple of recommendations are out :(

that grabbed by the ghoulies looks pretty good, but i can only find it for the Xbox. anyone know if it's available for the PS2?

Soldato
SSX on the PS2 (any of them, though Tricky or 3 are probably the best) are great for younger gamers as you can control it just using the analogue stick then move up to more advanced things etc, and it's 100% clean from a violence/swearing point of view.

Permabanned
turtle3 said:
BTW a lot of people recommended me a game called grabbed by the ghoulies for my son,, havnt got it yet though so dont know what its like but its supposed to be good,, :)

GBTG is great for the following reasons:

Control is simple, use one stick to move and the other stick to bash the ghoulies in the required direction.
It is easy for a child to understand what they need to do without having to be able to read.
The humour is very "carry on" and well over the kids head but funny for the adults.
Graphics are cartoon like and neither gory nor scary, just right imho.
My daughter loves GBTG and has been playing it since she was almost 3.

EDIT: It seems it is only available on Xbox :(

Also try "Wallace and Gromit - curse of the wererabbit".
No violence involved but lots of exploring, running around, jumping, logic puzzles and sucking up rabbits with your bunvac .....
Definitely more difficult to control and play than GBTG though.

Last edited:
Associate
VIRII said:
GBTG is great for the following reasons:

Control is simple, use one stick to move and the other stick to bash the ghoulies in the required direction.
It is easy for a child to understand what they need to do without having to be able to read.
The humour is very "carry on" and well over the kids head but funny for the adults.
Graphics are cartoon like and neither gory nor scary, just right imho.
My daughter loves GBTG and has been playing it since she was almost 3.

EDIT: It seems it is only available on Xbox :(

Also try "Wallace and Gromit - curse of the wererabbit".
No violence involved but lots of exploring, running around, jumping, logic puzzles and sucking up rabbits with your bunvac .....
Definitely more difficult to control and play than GBTG though.

Ahh I was trying to remember who recommended GBTG :) all I could remember was someone saying your daughter playes rock star :cool: BTW I had a go at rock star and made me wish I still had a ps2 :(

Last edited:
Soldato
YA MAD ? DONT DO IT !! get him outside playing with a football and climbing tree's, will be great for his development, introduce him to games when hes somewhat older, theres a reason why there are so few kiddys games.........

A lad i know got into it at 4, he is now a fat lazy porker, injured himself weeks ago and is still not healed, i.e. no immune system from doing nothing, jus me 2p here

Associate
OP
Combat squirrel said:
YA MAD ? DONT DO IT !! get him outside playing with a football and climbing tree's, will be great for his development, introduce him to games when hes somewhat older, theres a reason why there are so few kiddys games.........

A lad i know got into it at 4, he is now a fat lazy porker, injured himself weeks ago and is still not healed, i.e. no immune system from doing nothing, jus me 2p here

hahaha, very true! don't worry he is a very active little lad, and I'll certainly be rationing his time play on it. it's mainly for when we on a caravanning holiday and there's nowt to do coz it's tipping it down outside. (which is most of our holidays)

Permabanned
turtle3 said:
Ahh I was trying to remember who recommended GBTG :) all I could remember was someone saying your daughter playes rock star :cool: BTW I had a go at rock star and made me wish I still had a ps2 :(

Rockstar ..... rocks :)
As someone else has mentioned the eyetoy is good (you need some decent lighting for it to work best).
We have EyeToy Fun 3 or something for it, lots of weird games that my daughter enjoys, things like stroking cats, volleyball and window washing.

Back
Top Bottom