Remote Desktop/Remote Assistance

Soldato
Does anyone know if it's possible to connect to a computer in view only mode without any user interaction using either RD or RA ?

I can't seem to find any information about it and I'm guessing I'll have to use VNC to do it :( it's important that the user doesn't have to click anything, basically I want to be able to check that a users not in the middle of something when I try to connect with remote desktop, as it is many have a bad habit of leaving thier PCs logged in all day but I can't take the risk of them losing work when I connect.

Soldato
OP
hmm good point, I'll give it a shot and see what happens on a pc I have up here at the moment never had the balls to try it when someone was logged in so far!

watch this space! :D

Soldato
OP
alas no it quits anything they're in and if they're midway through a word document it just ends the process loosing whatevre they were working in :eek:

I find it really odd that it lacks a "view" only or "share" function that you can get with VNC. have the feeling I'll be installing VNC on all the PCs in the coming weeks!

Associate
RA has a view only feature.
As standard though the end user has to click a button saying yes, you can see what is on their screen.
But no doubt there is some registry key or Group Policy that can be set to allow you to see straight away without any need for user confirmation.
See this page for a bit more detail...I'll keep searching :)

Associate
Kami said:
alas no it quits anything they're in and if they're midway through a word document it just ends the process loosing whatevre they were working in :eek:

I find it really odd that it lacks a "view" only or "share" function that you can get with VNC. have the feeling I'll be installing VNC on all the PCs in the coming weeks!

Odd, every computer I have used MS remote desktop at work just locks the work station and you see what they used to see

Back
Top Bottom