CPU at 54!!!

Associate
Hi,

I just checked my CPU temperature in the bios and its at 54 :confused:

I have an Arctic Cooling Silencer 64 Ultra TC on my Athlon 64 3000+ and im not overclocking. I turned off my pc for about 30 mins then i decided to see how much it rises in the bios. It was at 32 and i left it for about 10 mins where it reached 52.

I have an Xblade case with two fans, one on the front and one on the side panel.

I opened the case up and cleaned both case fans and also the cpu fan and heatsink. There are a few suggestions i came up with to help get the cpu temp down.

I could purchase some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound and get an extra fan for the back of the case. The link below shows a picture of the back with a grill, but my case has a larger grill.

picture of back showing grill

If i do get a fan for the back, shall i have it taking in air to cool the cpu then blowing it out with the side panel fan???

Or shall i just get a new heatsink and fan?

Cheers.

Soldato
54C does seem abit high for idle, especially if you arent overclocking, what voltage is the CPU at? As long as it stays below 60C I wouldnt worry too much, but if its idling at that it will prob be hitting 60+ under load.

Id try with the arctic silver, make sure you apply it properly. Then have the side fan blowing air in and the fans at the back blowing air out.

Soldato
Yeah turn it around, I normally have my front/side fans blowing in, and the back fans blowing out. See if it makes any difference.

Your cpu voltage is ok. Mines abit higher at 1.5V and it hits ~55C under load, idles around 45C. Im also using air cooling in an akasa eclipse, with 2 case fans.

Soldato
the chances are that your mobo sensor is well off. try turning the fan round but if you have properly seated your heatsink (maybe reseat it) and good contact is being made, the chances are that your temps are actually lower.

daven

Associate
OP
the side fan is definetly blowing the air out. i will turn it around. I just put the cpu heatsink and fan back on and made sure it made good contact. I will get some Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound and an extra fan for the back and see what happens.

I tried a few programs to see what they said the cpu temp was and they dont make any sense :(
Speedfan said it was -128 lol. So did a few others.

I been thinking of upgrading my cpu to a Athlon 64 3700+ SD and overclocking it. Is it worth it as i have a 3000+ Venice now?

Associate
arrond said:
I been thinking of upgrading my cpu to a Athlon 64 3700+ SD and overclocking it. Is it worth it as i have a 3000+ Venice now?

Not worth it at the moment, IMO.

Anyhow, your sensors are way off, or, most likely, you aren't making good contact. You could try with stock cooler as well. If you manage to seat the stock cooler wrong, I may give you a medal :D

Associate
arrond said:
Shall i just overclock my 3000+ then? well after i get my temps sorted :)

How can i get my sensors correct if they are wrong? or is it tough ****?

Yup, go ahead and overclock the hell out of it(after you sort your temps out!!)
You should easily hit 2.4ghz on air, but most likely you can push it quite a bit longer :)

Back
Top Bottom