• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ok, so I destroyed my CPU..

Soldato
Hey,

Whilst removing my IHS, my stanley knife decided to knock off one of the cache chips, but not completely, 3 of the connecting wires got cut off.
Now, I have a mate that works with and designs pcbs. he also has access to very fine soldering equipment. What are the chances that he could reconnect the cache chip and all would be fine and dandy?

Failing that, has anyone refitted an IHS and completed an RMA with AMD?

cheers :(

Soldato
chache chip? i think you mean the resistors networks?

if its undamaged, that its easy peasy. I can solder them by hand. it depends on wether you've pulled the pads up as well though, because if you have you've almost certainly killed it.

Caporegime
Someone suggested simply using conductive paint to join the contacts, they managed to breath life back into a 4200 x2.

I crushed 2 of the little SMD resistors with my water block, only the bottom 1/4 of them is missing and the chip is still running as it did.

Soldato
OP
Ok doke, thanks for the help guys. I did consider just firing it up to see what happened but decided to see if it could be repaired first.

fingers crossed because this chip is/was pretty impressive.

Caporegime
trojan698 said:
Ok doke, thanks for the help guys. I did consider just firing it up to see what happened but decided to see if it could be repaired first.

fingers crossed because this chip is/was pretty impressive.

You may just want to give it a try mate, a lot of people have had accidents with the little resistors and found the CPU still works fine.

Man of Honour
Aslong as the core isn't chipped and PCB isn't scratched it should work ok. I've seen a x2 with 3 SMD's missing and it still worked fine.

Soldato
OP
I managed to scratch the PCB too, lol.

heres a pic although cpu's seem impossible to photograph. The scatch is near the top right of this photo.

I'm gonna give it a shot just now, patience isnt my strong point :p

Mul

Mul

Associate
it's for reasons like so I'm still too chicken to remove my IHS, and my temps peak as high as 60 fully loaded for hours :(

Mul

Soldato
OP
sablabra said:
Damn you! You're tempting me to remove the IHS. But surely, it can't have dropped 10c?? :eek: What cpu you got? :)

This is hardly an advert for IHS removal! Are you mad? Yeah it dropped about 10c, my load temps @ 2.8ghz on 1.4v were 50c, dropped to 39c after IHS removal. It failed @ 3.05, so priming 3ghz properly this time and its sitting at 56c, something I couldnt have done without removing the IHS. Although the question is, will I notice 200mhz?
I have an opty 146. :)

Back
Top Bottom