How long does it take you to get to sleep?

Associate
I wash just discussing with my hosuemate how long it takes him to get to sleep, as he's always saying how little sleep he got the night before. Turns out it takes him 4 HOURS (!) to get to sleep!! Whereas I am usually out of it in around 10minutes.

Am I unusually quick to get to sleep? Or does my housemate take a ridiculous amount of time?!

Soldato
5-20mintes, any longer than that and you really should get up and do something boring for a while then return to bed or you'll lie there for hours. He should seek help if he's taking that long to get to sleep though, something not right there.

Associate
It really depends for me, usually takes over a few hours but I have suffered from insomnia for a fair while and I'm still getting over it now so I guess that don't count.

Suspended
depends. if im really tired from the night before and had no sleep then im asleep like a flash. If ive had 12cans of redbull the night before then i get about 4 minutes sleep!

Normally however itll take anywhere between 30mins and 2hours

Soldato
Depends for me. When I've been reading my book I get tired easily and I'm normally sleeping around 11. However most of the time I can look at the clock and it's 1 and I'm not at all tired. :(

Associate
Good question.

Personally If im that tired, i can fall asleep in a matter of minutes.

Although if I have a lot on my mind it can take a while. even up to 2 hours sometimes.

As has been said, if you cant sleep, i find reading something or doing something equally physically undemanding helps the body to calm down and focus on something other than what you are worrying about.

Also a small form of meditation can sometimes help as well. For me it involves forcing myself to think about one thing, (perhaps a place or something like that) and one thing only. Kinda gives the mind chance to rest on what it is worrying about and you can fall asleep fairly quickly.

Woodsy :)

Adz

Adz

Soldato
Depends on my state of mind. If I'm relaxed or drunk, seconds. If I'm stressed or worried or have been working late and therefore have a lot of adrenaline, endorphines, etc running around my system it can take hours.

I refuse to take pills as I know I'd become reliant on them very quickly. I know people who do take sleeping pills and many of them wish they hadn't started.

Associate
I used to live in a rural/suburban area where at night it would be absolutely silent and pitch black. When I'm at uni in town it's a different case. I can find it so hard trying to get to sleep as I'm not used to all the surrounding lights and sounds.

At home it takes less than half an hour. At uni 1-2 hours.

Associate
It depends for me, sometimes I can get to sleep in about 5 minutes, sometimes it can take hours, depends on the weather usually, I have an amazing weather predicting knee, it hurts when its going to rain, its really uncanny.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

I'd say 2-3 minutes if Im tired...

On average though about 2 hours :(

Back
Top Bottom