Quick insurance question

Soldato
Quick question on insurance, just need a yes or no answer as to if this is legal.

My insurance in considerably (£300+) cheeper on my (hopefully) next car with both my Mum, Dad and Auntie on the insurance, even though the chances of them driving it are slim.

Is there anything wrong with putting them on the insurance even if they probably won't drive the car? :confused:

Associate
Guv said:
I didn't think it was a problem as long as you're the policyholder

Yup this is true...

People are saying go on your mum/dads insurance,

I wouldn't reccommend it at all. They are clamping down on this.

Example scenerio:

A family of 3 ..

Mother, Father and Son (age 17)

Mother and father both have a car each... (Ferrari and a porsche :) )

Son has just passed and needs to insure his car...

He goes onto his mums insurance as a second driver of his belovered Vauxhall Nova.

Insurance companies can spot straight away that the mother is not the main driver because she has her own car.. you then would be refused car insurance!

If say father and mother shared a car... (father as policy holder and mother second driver)

then this might work but when it comes to a crash...questions will be asked and if the evidence shows the mother doesn't drive this hardely at all... insurance can be refused.

Its dodgey but you can get around it if you know what to say if you crash :)

Soldato
in my case, my mum has her own car but my dad has a company car, what he plans on doing is getting a small car for us both to use, its effectively what you said there but theres nothing wrong with it surely?

Soldato
I think the OP *is* the policy holder, and wants to add mum/dad/aunt as named drivers.

This is fine - they might, at some point want to drive the car. I used to have my mum and dad on my policy, made it quite a lot cheaper. That was until my mum got some points, and it was cheaper to take her off again. Now I just have my girlfriend on my policy. She drives the car once every so often, if it's boxing hers in and we can't be bothered to swap them about, and it made last years quote £500 cheaper - so why not?!

Associate
Rich1988 said:
in my case, my mum has her own car but my dad has a company car, what he plans on doing is getting a small car for us both to use, its effectively what you said there but theres nothing wrong with it surely?

In your case no because your dad has a company car :)

gobbo said:
Correct, add them as named drivers to MY policy, so i'm the policy holder.

Ahh should only add around £20 or so per driver :)

Back
Top Bottom