• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

6800 and artifacts question

Soldato
Switched on my daughters PC today and I got multicoloured squares or artifacts all over the place.

The card is a Aopen 6800 DVI128 and just over a year old.

So I think maybe I'll try to flash the bios but there no bios on the webpage :mad:

Do you think the card is a gonna? In your experience is this kind of thing recoverable and do any of you know how to send back one of these to the manufacturer as the only place I can see on their website is in Germany.

Soldato
Sounds like the memory on the card is shot.

Does it do it from POST or just when your in windows?
Check for any overclocks/unlocks
Check for overheating
Update your GFX drivers

To me though, it sounds like the card knackered, especially if its doing it as soon as you hit the power button

Soldato
OP
Stellios said:
Sounds like the memory on the card is shot.

Does it do it from POST or just when your in windows?
Check for any overclocks/unlocks
Check for overheating
Update your GFX drivers

To me though, it sounds like the card knackered, especially if its doing it as soon as you hit the power button

yup does it from post

Soldato
Yep, if its still under warranty its an RMA job, but if its out of warranty you need a new card im afriad.

You could try lowering the clocks speeds below stock to see if that does anything, but its unlikely.

Soldato
OP
Stellios said:
They shoudnt, they should last 12 months from the day of purchase.

Its out of that anyways :(

I know this might sound a silly question as Im no graphics wizard but can I flash the bios of anotehr similar card to this i.e. this is a AOpen can I flash a Gainward 6800 to it?

Still cant believe thye havent got a blooming bios for this though!

Associate
it could be overheating , can you monitor the temperature ??
if its a heat issue you may need to remove the hsf and clean the paste from the gpu and hsf and then reapply new thermal grease , make sure it is properly seated onto gpu and try again,try firm pressure when reseating hsf
dave

Soldato
as mentioned above, you card does sound borked to be honest. but if its out of warranty then anything has to be worth a try.

Try stripping off the heatsink, clean all the gunk off and re apply some thermal compound. re seat the heatsink and see how that goes.

if that still doesnt work then by all means try flashing with another make of card as long as its the same card it shouldnt be a problem. I flashed my 6800GT with a leadtek bios and it worked

Associate
It probally is stuck on then... if it's a year old the thermal gunk that came with the stock cooler will be rock-solid, try and get some alochol-based cleaners in there and see if that shifts it...

If not a bit of brute force and ignorance will help (with some degree of care though)

try shoving some Arctic Silver under it and putting it back on, this might lower temps some....

given what you've said so far though, i'm guessing an RMA or new card is likely :( .

Soldato
Mike ** sig is too big, 4 lines of text max, perhaps read the rules ;)

Anyway, I agree that the mems had it :( BIOS flashing wont help.

Unless its overheating...

Associate
I flashed my bily bogo 6800 with an xfx ultra bios, then used riva tuner to unlock a quad and an extra vertex, then overclocked mem to 1250mhz, and amazingly it still worked but hell did it get hot!(flashed it back to standard bios now) but still works fine which is the point, so i think it a bit poor that acard fails after year with no abuse, and my soul purpose is to kill my card but it wont have it and keeps going a bit wierd.

Anyways if you want gfx bios go to mvtech.net, get nbititor and change baord id to your own and bobs your uncle. Make sure you back up your bios before try flashing with another though!

Back
Top Bottom