• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Warranty after removed stock fan.

Permabanned
Hi,
How do manufacturers know if the stock heatsink and fan has been removed?
The only thing thats been changed on his card is the thermal paste since they done a shabby job of it initially.
Do they even check if it wen't in for an RMA?

Cheers.

MC_Bob

Soldato
Not really too hard to think why in all honesty? People will damage the card either by placing it on something unsuitable, leading to electronic damage, or generally being rough with it and breaking one of the many components on the board. Also when unscrewing the screws, slipping and damaging the pcb etc etc.

So, there seem to be plenty of reason for that voiding the warrenty.

Associate
Goksly said:
Not really too hard to think why in all honesty? People will damage the card either by placing it on something unsuitable, leading to electronic damage, or generally being rough with it and breaking one of the many components on the board. Also when unscrewing the screws, slipping and damaging the pcb etc etc.

So, there seem to be plenty of reason for that voiding the warrenty.

wouldnt that apply for cpu too? I meant if theres no physical damages then the warranty should be voided :)

Soldato
It seems touching any component card without an oxygen free zone, or anti static enviroments, invalidates a warrentee. Speak no evil, and they see no evil. :D

Soldato
ken1307 said:
wouldnt that apply for cpu too? I meant if theres no physical damages then the warranty should be voided :)
Cant say Ive read up on the warrent slip provided witht he CPU... but I can see how they are different, as the CPU does not come supplied on the motherboard with heatsink attached etc etc.

Soldato
Removing the stock cooler does invalidate the warranty, but only if you have someone who works for the manufacturer stood over your shoulder when you do it. If you don't cause any collateral damage to the graphics card, and put the cooler back on properly, nobody will know.

Of course, if anyone tries that trick after knowingly breaking the graphics card by being too rough with it, I will seriously question their morals. It's theft if they send you a new one for nothing and you know you broke it.

Permabanned
OP
Exsomnis said:
Removing the stock cooler does invalidate the warranty, but only if you have someone who works for the manufacturer stood over your shoulder when you do it. If you don't cause any collateral damage to the graphics card, and put the cooler back on properly, nobody will know.

Of course, if anyone tries that trick after knowingly breaking the graphics card by being too rough with it, I will seriously question their morals. It's theft if they send you a new one for nothing and you know you broke it.

Ok yeah I agree.

Well no the card doesnt work, with no overclocking it artifacts in windows and locks up and screams im broken.
RMA it is.
Work for about 10 mins though.
And also im writing on that computer with no grpahics card through remote desktop connection :O

Thanks.

MC_Bob

Associate
Cant say Ive read up on the warrent slip provided witht he CPU... but I can see how they are different, as the CPU does not come supplied on the motherboard with heatsink attached etc etc
Im sure I've read it somewhere either on Intels or AMDs retail chips, warranty is void if not used with HSF supplied.

Back
Top Bottom