automatic for 2k?

Associate
Someone I know is after a new car for roundabout the 2k mark but it must be an automatic. I know nothing about automatics so i dont know what really to suggest. any ideas?

Associate
Without knowing his needs its very difficult to say, however we ahve a saab 9000 CSE auto in the family and put simply its an incredible car for the price, as little as £1k now, but for the money you pay you get an incredible car, spec etc.
So thats my only real suggestion until further criteria are listed

Man of Honour
Something like a Nissan Primera.

Buying an automatic for this sort of money is really difficult and should be done with care becuase most old autoboxes are a timebomb waiting to blow a 4 figure dent in your wallet. It is for this reason that I cannot recommend a Mondeo.

Man of Honour
No, the automatics are not very good, mainly becuase they tend to lunch themselves at between 70k and 130k miles and are very expensive to then fix.

Shame as the rest of the car is excellent and unrivalled value for money but I cannot recommend them in automatic form.

Soldato
Automatic? £2k you say? Well, as long as you arent wanting stellar performance I can highly recommend my own car (its not for sale mind ;))

£1900 bought me a '97 C200 Elegance automatic (2ltr). Trim has the major stuff - Aircon, Cruise control, CD player etc and build quality is stonkingly good as long long as you get a well maintained one. They dont suffer from all the problems that the later (W203) ones had and as one car review said, 'it feels like the interior has been carved from solid graphite'.

Its not a slow car, and on the motorway its very relaxing pulling 90mph at just under 3K revs, but its obviously no pocket rocket.

129548541_f3d8ba2565.jpg

129403065_6a54bfb45e.jpg

Soldato
Sagalout said:
Automatic? £2k you say? Well, as long as you arent wanting stellar performance I can highly recommend my own car (its not for sale mind ;))

£1900 bought me a '97 C200 Elegance automatic (2ltr). Trim has the major stuff - Aircon, Cruise control, CD player etc and build quality is stonkingly good as long long as you get a well maintained one. They dont suffer from all the problems that the later (W203) ones had and as one car review said, 'it feels like the interior has been carved from solid graphite'.

Its not a slow car, and on the motorway its very relaxing pulling 90mph at just under 3K revs, but its obviously no pocket rocket.

129548541_f3d8ba2565.jpg

129403065_6a54bfb45e.jpg

My dad had one of those, it was the worst automatic transmission I've ever witnessed. In fact it was the worst car i've ever witnessed, the only redeeming feature is that it looked nice in black.

Man of Honour
Mercedes make some of the finest automatic boxes in the world - infact many say that if you buy a Merc you pretty much NEED to get an auto version.

Soldato
IME, Volvos have good autoboxes, I've driven my cousins 740GL (he picked a G-reg one up for £550 and an S40 t4 (S reg) from my old workplace... The 740 has over 150k on the clock and still changes nicely the guy he bought it off said it was the original box., the S40 was surprisingly good too :)

I guess it all depends if your mate doesn't mind driving a star destroyer though!.

Last edited:
Soldato
Clarkey said:
My dad had one of those, it was the worst automatic transmission I've ever witnessed. In fact it was the worst car i've ever witnessed, the only redeeming feature is that it looked nice in black.

Must... Stop... Posting... The... Same... Pics... As... The... 2nd... Post... Above... :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Mercedes make some of the finest automatic boxes in the world - infact many say that if you buy a Merc you pretty much NEED to get an auto version.

Yup you do due to the foothandbrake. Its useless in a manual.

Yeah Id recommend the Merc, the transmission is good and the C class is a lot of car for the money.

Id also recommend Fox's suggestion of a Primera too though, they are very very cheap and will be very reliable.

Back
Top Bottom