Forum improvement suggestion

Associate
Not sure if this is the right section for this, but as it's not a product suggestion i thought i would put it here.

On another forum i frequent (Redissue), whenever your point at the thread title a box comes up showing the first line of the thread. Is this something that could be done on OCUK?

Apologies if this has already been discussed before it's just i find it quite a useful feature as sometimes Thread titles can be a bit vague. Also if this is in the wrong section perhaps a mod could redirect me.

Permabanned
Well I for one don't like that idea, I like OcUK for the clean browsing experience in gives, and I wouldn't like to see a cluttered forum page.

Mods are quite vigilant with thread titles, and will rename those that have vague descriptions, so in my opinion there is no need for any more information to be displayed next to the thread title.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it's been brought up before and the admins said that while it's a nice idea, it's really heavy work for the servers and stuff, so it's not going to happen.

With the speed of the net these days anyway it's probably quicker to click it and hop back out, than wait for the first line to come up while hovering.

Man of Honour
Why not just click on the damn thread and read it? Are you THAT lazy?

Even if it is a good idea it'll just encourage lazy thread titling.

Sorry but it's pointless and I doubt they'll ever add it to here.

Soldato
Makavelli said:
Not sure if this is the right section for this, but as it's not a product suggestion i thought i would put it here.

On another forum i frequent (Redissue), whenever your point at the thread title a box comes up showing the first line of the thread. Is this something that could be done on OCUK?

Apologies if this has already been discussed before it's just i find it quite a useful feature as sometimes Thread titles can be a bit vague. Also if this is in the wrong section perhaps a mod could redirect me.

Whats your name on RI Makavelli ?

Soldato
I don't like it. I find the box always obscures other stuff as it just gets in the way ad they always pop up when you don't want them.

Soldato
It was disabled after the last upgrade for 2 reasons - 1) server load (though that doesn’t really matter now we're on a new server), and 2) The previews were broke in FireFox.

Personally, I think it's unnecessary clutter. Just take a look if you're interested.

Soldato
Otacon said:
(though that doesn’t really matter now we're on a new server),
We're on a new server?! Why didn't any one tell me:mad:. That would explain why the forums have seemed much faster of late then.

Associate
Zefan said:
Why not just click on the damn thread and read it? Are you THAT lazy?

My uni connection is sometimes worse than a dial-up connection. I've often thought this feature would be useful to see if a page is actually worth loading up.

But then thread title are on the whole quite descriptive so it's not as bad as other forums and stuff :p

Soldato
Otacon said:
It was disabled after the last upgrade for 2 reasons - 1) server load (though that doesn’t really matter now we're on a new server), and 2) The previews were broke in FireFox.

Personally, I think it's unnecessary clutter. Just take a look if you're interested.

Exactly, i read thread creators not titles... :p that way i can avoid all posts by Otacon.

Soldato
It's so annoying imo, as when you are moving your mouse around the page all these 'pop up type' things appear, where as if you are intrested you enter the topic anyway.

Plus, i can imagine the server bill to go sky high, or slower

Soldato
burns said:
I don't like it. I find the box always obscures other stuff as it just gets in the way ad they always pop up when you don't want them.
I agree with that statement. And I've heard from administrators of other forums that have (had) this feature; they claim their bandwidth utilisation increased more than 40%. I don't know how accurate that is, but it does seem reasonable.

Soldato
Otacon said:

I agree with young Otters, it doesn't take too much effort to take a butchers and although we try to alter vague thread titles, people could make more effort themselves in this area.

Associate
OP
Loki said:
Whats your name on RI Makavelli ?

Makavelli

Not much of a poster though as there is far too much rubbish posted on there. Like to browse for transfer info and club gossip, some well informed people frequent that forum. The Roy Keane story broke on RI before it hit the news!

Back
Top Bottom