Anyone ever hitchhiked ?

Soldato
Just wondering ?

Father in laws car broke down a few weeks back when he was working in Bristol and had to get back to Manchester for a party. Got a lift of some random bloke. Asked him where he was going and he replied "I will take you as far as I can" :eek:

Ignored him completely till he got to Hilton Park Services. Father in law said "I think I will get out here" so the driver said "It's propbably for the best"

Anyone done it before or would you if you were desperate ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Back in the days of my GCSEs, my bus crashed on the way to my village and I had no-one else to take me into school. So I set off on walking to school - hitchhiking if I could. Eventually, some gorgeous blonde decided to stop (obviously seeing my school uniform and deciding I was just a kid ;p) and pick me up. So we got chatting in the car, and it actually turned out she was the sister of my next door neighbour! Which was a bloody good coincidence :]

-RaZ

Permabanned
Used to do it a lot as a student.

The best one I ever managed was a lift from the outskirts of Leeds with a lorry driver who happened to be delivering something to a factory about 100 yards from where I wanted to go to in Wolverhampton.

Genius.

Man of Honour
I've hitched a life up in Scotland, got picked up by some middle-aged sort of business type in a brand new Volvo. I was wearing my paddling gear (kayaking) and dripping wet having just been down the orchy. He drove me about 10 miles back upstream and didn't seem to care about his posh leather interior, just put a fleece on the seat for me to sit on :)

Also done a similar thing, but in france. Got picked up by some French "chav" in a corsa, only he wasn't retarded, just drove a crap-looking car :D
It was 42 degrees in the shade that day, so I was dry.

Associate
Jono said:
Also done a similar thing, but in france. Got picked up by some French "chav" in a corsa, only he wasn't retarded, just drove a crap-looking car :D

Driving a crap car doesn't make him a chav, it just makes him french :D Not being offensive or anything but it seems a proportion of the french aren't bothered about flashy cars or anything.

I once took a wrong turn when going to a pub to meet my mates. I only realised about 5 miles down the road. On the way back I managed to get a lift from a nice family that went out of their way to drop me off at the pub, What surprised me was I was wasted at the time, and they had their kids in the car :eek:

Another time, I missed the last bus home (about 11 ish) I phoned my mum and asked her for a lift. This was 30 miles from home. She said sure, and asked me to wait by a bridge on that she would cross. Well being very drunk, I marched off to the bridge and got their in about 2 min. The journey to this place takes about 45 min, so I thought I could get to the next village along. Well off I staggered. I made it about 3-5 miles and realised that I was waking in pitch black, and that I was no where near the next village. I decided it was best to hitch back to the bridge as my mum would never see me in this absence of light. I stuck out my hand and the first car pulled over. Result, I thought. I opened the door and started to say "I just need a lift to the bri... Hi mum". Apparently she would never have seem me if I had not stuck out my arm. It was an amazing coincidence.

Associate
i once got a lift from some guy passing when my car broke down, i was about 200 meters along a country road so he knew it was mine as no pavments on this road

nice guy said he would give me a lift home which was the other way to what he was going but i just said take me along to the village an ill call my parents to get him

only time ive got a lift

Man of Honour
Yeah I've done it once before although admittedly the first lift I got was unintentional. I was out for New Years in Edinburgh and somehow got separated from my cousins, leaving my jacket in the pub, the next thing I remember I'm walking along a road on the outskirts of Edinburgh about 10 miles away from where I should be with snow on the ground.

I'm now daundering along the road feeling a little chilly due to the fact I'm only wearing a sweatshirt and jeans but the alcohol in my bloodstream is still keeping me a bit warm when an old couple stop beside me and offer to give me a lift.

This is great except they are only heading about a mile in the direction I need to go and then heading in the opposite direction. So I get out and start walking again, once I see a car heading the right way I stick out a thumb and they give me a lift another couple of miles closer before they turned off. I then take a look at my phone and realise my cousins have tried to call me about 5 times during the night and I've somehow not heard any of them.

Back to walking until a taxi pulls up alongside without me doing anything and offers to take me to the next village for free. By this point I'm heading inland slightly rather than along the coast to Portobello which is where I was meant to be staying the night but no real matter. Once we reach the village I thank the taxi driver and get out to let him pick up his fare.

I then have to start walking again until I come across another car heading vaguely in the direction I need who take me another couple of miles. Total distance walked was about the same as the distance travelled by hitchhiking but it was quite an amusing way to pass New Years day, I was left with no hangover but very sore legs :D

Permabanned
Once...Wearing a dressing gown and clutching a towel.

Was quite an adventure; met a cute girl and a depressed metal guy...

*n

Soldato
Hitched from London to Canterbury. Got there in 2 lifts, first from a strange van driver going to Bluewater shopping centre, the second from a nice couple who took pity on us scabby students. We were wearing scrubs and a bit drunk by that stage too, but they were nice and chatted the whole way.

Associate
A couple of times in this country, but nothing memorable.

Did a massive hitch-hike in Australia when I was working there. Had to get to Darwin for my next job there, and as road trains went through the town I was at (Bourke, NSW) eventually got a ride (as a lot had insurance issues) to Mount Isa (Queensland), and then got another ride to Darwin (Northern Territory).

Got sick of the talking books (they seem to love them), but was funny barrelling over kangeroo's! And they all take stuff to stay awake too!

Associate
I hitched around France for a couple of weeks. I met some right loonies, but I always hitched with a mate so we weren't too worried about them.

Associate
Used to hitchhike a lot when I was a student. Great way to travel! You meet some really interesting people and it builds confidence.

Best hitchhiking was in France although I did once get a lift with some dope smoking hippies on some high alpine roads; they drove their 2cv like the clappers and I was thankful to be alvie when we reached our destination. Ah, happy days...... :D

Caporegime
Never done it myself. My mum used to do it from time to time when she lived in Finland. Apparently it used to be safe as houses to do it back then. One time she was out hitchhiking with her cousin and they got a ride with a couple of men in the back of a big van. At some point along the way the van pulled off into a forest and started slowing down. They figured they weren't going to like what happened next so they opened the back doors and legged it. Crazy days. They quit hitchhiking after that one.

Soldato
Never picked anyone up.......but here's something for you all to try. Next time you see them with their arm out and their thumb up just stick ya thumb up back at them like ya best mates and carry on driving :D :p Then check ya rear view mirror for a bag of mixed abuse :p

Back
Top Bottom