new upgrade problems. help please :D.

Associate
hey there. i recently upgraded my old emachines 420 pc. i bought 2gb of memory and a new motherboard and got a free geforce 4 mx440 off a friend to use.

the old motherboard is a trigem imperial motherboard which hp and emachines use in their pc's ( m-atx). i replaced it with an ASUS P4V800D-X board. see here. anyway i'm quite sure everythin is setup correctly. there are no errors given. the pc manages to Power on self test, but will not boot into windows, i just get an instant reboot. i have tried safemode etc so i'm really not sure whats wrong. any ideas please?

Soldato
Is your HDD plugged in properly?
Can you boot from CD/Floppy?
Anything shorting in the case?
PSU okay?

So many questions lol. If you're sure everything is as it should be and you still get restarts, you may have to look at your RAM and see if it isnt duff. If you have two DIMMS then take one out, try to boot. If it doesnt work, put it back in and rip the other one out and try again.

If it boots with just one DIMM then you have iffy RAM. If it doesnt boot with either.... lord knows lol

SiriusB

Associate
GAMEfreak said:
hey there. i recently upgraded my old emachines 420 pc. i bought 2gb of memory and a new motherboard and got a free geforce 4 mx440 off a friend to use.

the old motherboard is a trigem imperial motherboard which hp and emachines use in their pc's ( m-atx). i replaced it with an ASUS P4V800D-X board. see here. anyway i'm quite sure everythin is setup correctly. there are no errors given. the pc manages to Power on self test, but will not boot into windows, i just get an instant reboot. i have tried safemode etc so i'm really not sure whats wrong. any ideas please?

you changed all that gear and havent reinstalled or.. ?

Does it get past post? Is ram ok (memtest86 it)? Erm are hds working? :D

Associate
OP
HDDs are plugged in properly. DIMMs are fine too. =/ . no luck. tried using an old 256mb of ram and it was detected fine etc. but windows still won't boot. it goes past POST and then gives me the last known good configuration and safe mode options. none of which work.

Back
Top Bottom