So I had two mormons over.

Soldato
So the doorbell rings, I head downstairs and see my housemate talking to two of them. He's like "oh I am just a visitor in this house, here talking to this guy" pointing at me. I was like ah hell nah man, what the hell? Anyway, I don't see why all this hatred against these guys. I mean, they are not doing anythng bad, they are just talking to people about their beliefs. We had a chat for maybe half an hour, it was pretty interesting. Yeah they won't change my mind on religion or tell me the purpose of life but still. So after having a discussion on how cool my name is (I am the mesenger of God, mother****rs :cool: ) they left me with this present:

I told them I have exams now and I can't read it, but I will have a look over the summer. I do believe to God but I don't believe that he has spoken to the people who wrote these books. Still, I mean, they spread their religion, and that's not a bad thing, you are not forced to believe what they believe.

So who else had encounters?

Soldato
yeah i had 2 over when i was 16, one was fit as **** so i let them preach for a bit while i stared at her chest, was unusual because both of them were females, which i heard was rare. i took history at gcse so i wowed them with my knowledge of the mormon history :cool:

Soldato
<----- Mormon.

That book is a LONG read. Some interesting ideas put forth in it. As someone who thinks more scientifically than religiously, I can honestly say that there's quite a few parts that put me off.

I have my faith, and the LDS version is the closest I've found to my own beliefs. They don't match 100%, but they are the closest.

If you can get through at least a couple of chapters without getting bored or turned off of it, you've done better than me!!! I have to read it a chapter at a time, but have only gotten so far into it myself (and it's my religion!!! :eek: )

So all the more power to you if you DO decide to read it.

Soldato
pyro said:

Hehe

You'll be seeing them again, and again and again.

They left you the book so they have an 'in' to come back and talk to you about it in a couple of weeks.

I had a friend (note the had) who converted, he turned into a proper LDS fundamentalist and went from a fun outgoing guy to someone out of Witness (not the same I know) pretty much over night. Shame, I haven't seen him for about 10 years now :(

MB

Soldato
Pudney@work said:
They're the ones who have millions of wives and don't like things like electricity and other modern technologies.

Well, you got PART of it right. The dimented branch off that still like to call themselves Mormon (even though they aren't) have multiple concubines.

But the electricity and modern things people are the Amish......

Soldato
;)
pyro said:
I told them I have exams now and I can't read it, but I will have a look over the summer. I do believe to God but I don't believe that he has spoken to the people who wrote these books. Still, I mean, they spread their religion, and that's not a bad thing, you are not forced to believe what they believe.

So who else had encounters?

Yep

One summer Hols about 15 years ago. Had them come round one afternoon thinking I was in need of salvation. In the end I told them I was house sitting whilst something was being delivered and asked if they could call and see me & my Mum the next night.

So I gave them my best mates address. Sure enough they went round 7.00 the next night. His mum being a staunch Catholic and no patience for them told them where to go. They even said that "Your son Colin asked us around" So he ended up getting in a load of trouble when he got home.

Only had the courage to tell him a few years ago. We had a laugh about it................. Eventually :p

Caporegime
Pudney@work said:
They're the ones who have millions of wives and don't like things like electricity and other modern technologies.

You're right about the first bit. The second is only applicable to some of the fringe Mormon sects (like the Fundamentalist Church Of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints, the leader of whom is the one who just made it onto the FBI most wanted list). You sound like you're mixing them up with the Amish.

Soldato
Pudney@work said:

Errrr.....no.
My fiancee's father is a mormon - my fiancee isn't however.
I've been to two mormon funerals and two mormon weddings - and it is interesting how their ceremonies are different.
I've certainly got nothing against their faith...I do have problems with part of their "background story" so to speak and it is not a religion I would ever switch over to.
However as with all religions I let people live their own lives.
I've had them come to the door.
I politely tell them that I'm not really interested in listening to a "conversion speech" so to speak, however if they want to leave me anything to read they are more than welcome to.

It's all very polite, I usually end up with something to read when I've got nothing else to hand and they have done their part of their religion "spread the word".

I've not read all of the posts in this thread yet and I'm not sure I'll pop back to it.
However I expect it to fill up rather rapidly with "How dare they call at my house" and then "The best thing to do is......<insert typical religious intollerance joke/etc here>".

Soldato
Mickey_D said:
Well, you got PART of it right. The dimented branch off that still like to call themselves Mormon (even though they aren't) have multiple concubines.

But the electricity and modern things people are the Amish......

Now you see, that's a good point. My mistake!! :D

Soldato
hehe

Weird Al Yankovic
Amish Paradise

As i walk throught the valley where i harvest my grain,
I take a look at my wife and realize she's very plain.
But that's just perfect for an Amish like me,
you know I shun fancy things like electricity.
At 4:30 in the mornin' i'm milking cows,
Jebediah feeds the chickens and Jacob plows, fool
and I've been milking and plowing so long that
even Ezekial thinks that my mind is gone.
I'm a man of the land, I'm into discipline,
got a Bible in my hand and a beard on my chin,
but if I finish all of my chores, and you finish thine,
then tonight we're going to party like it's 1699.

(Chorus)
we've been spending most our lives living in an Amish Paradise,
I churn butter once or twice, living in an Amish Paradise,
It's hard work and sacrifice, living in an Amish Paradise,
We sell quilts at discount price, living in an Amish Paradise.

A local boy kicked me in the butt last week,
i just smiled at him, and I turned the other cheek.
I don't really care, in fact I wish him well,
cause I'll be laughing my head off when he's burning in Hell.
I ain't never punched a tourist even if he deserved it,
an Amish with a 'tude, you know that's unheard of.
I never wear buttons, but I got a cool hat,
and my homies agree i really look good in black, fool
If you come to visit, you'll be bored to tears,
we haven't even payed the phone bill in 300 years,
But we ain't really quaint, so please don't point and stare,
we're just technologically impaired.

there's no phone, no lights, no motorcars, not a single
luxury,
like robonson Crusoe, it's as primitive as can be,

(chorus)
we're just plain and simple guys, living in an Amish Paradise,
there's no time for sin and vice, living in an Amish Paradise,
We don't fight, we all play nice, living in an Amish Paradise

Hitching up the buggy, churning lots of butter,
raised a barn on Monday, soon i'll raise anutter
think you're really rightious?
think you're pure in heart?
well i know i'm a million times as humble as thou art.
I'm the pioust guy the little Amletts want to be like
on my knees day and night scoring points for the afterlife.
so don't be vain, and don't be whiney,
or else my brother might have to get medieval on your hiney.

(chorus)
We're all crazy Mennonites, living in an Amish Paradise,
there's no cops or traffic lights, living in an Amish Paradise,
But you'd probably think it bites, living in an Amish Paradise,

Ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah
ah-ah
ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah-ah,
yech!

Back
Top Bottom