Anyone know about these TV screen head unit things?

Soldato
Quite fancy getting a TV monitor screen for the car. Don't really know that much about them, but quite like the idea of being able to watch movies and TV or just to have one in the first place :)

Don't really need SatNav as my car hardly ever sets a tyre outside the county and if push came to shove, I'm pretty handy with an old fashioned O.S. map.

Anyway, if I budget for £500 I'm looking at Ebay 2nd hand purchase. From what I can see the Pioneer AVH5700 looks pretty good and can be had within budget.

What I can't quite work out is what these things have as standard and what other units I need to get to make it do different things like TV and DVD playback etc.

One thing I would like though is to be able to use it as an engine monitor. I tihnk HKS do something that can be linked between the ECU and the HU screen (read someone mention it when selling a Subaru P1)

Anyway, any ideas opinions welcome :)

Soldato
Most (if its says so) do DVD (Region 2) out of the box...
Some have full 5.1 Amps (including DTS on some rare ones), Others have Optical/Coax out for a DD/DTS Proccie/Amp combo...
None (in you price range) have TV, You need a TV Tuner plugged in with a Car TV Aerial, Plus the TV's only usually work at either under 2mph or only at a stand still!!!...
Some have a Touch Screen, some don't!...

Cannae think of anything else!... (Sure someone else will be allong soon!! :D )

Pioneer are Very good!!, Kenwoods ain't bad, Dunno about Alpines!..

Sim.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the replies. Theres a couple of decent buys on fleebay right now and am watching a Pioneer AHV5700 which is in budget.

Like Pioneer stuff so am sticking with them. Looked at some of the Alpines but but the one I was looking at only has one pre-out which seems odd.

The one I'm looking at doesn't have TV but it will play DVDs which is OK. I can always get a TV tuner later.

Just occured to me because on the weekend I was obliged to take my little one and her friends out to a Farmyard Park and daddy would have had a much better time sat in the car if he could have caught a bit of the Spanish GP :)

Associate
EddScott said:
Quite fancy getting a TV monitor screen for the car. Don't really know that much about them, but quite like the idea of being able to watch movies and TV or just to have one in the first place :)

Don't really need SatNav as my car hardly ever sets a tyre outside the county and if push came to shove, I'm pretty handy with an old fashioned O.S. map.

Anyway, if I budget for £500 I'm looking at Ebay 2nd hand purchase. From what I can see the Pioneer AVH5700 looks pretty good and can be had within budget.

What I can't quite work out is what these things have as standard and what other units I need to get to make it do different things like TV and DVD playback etc.

One thing I would like though is to be able to use it as an engine monitor. I tihnk HKS do something that can be linked between the ECU and the HU screen (read someone mention it when selling a Subaru P1)

Anyway, any ideas opinions welcome :)

Avic-X1 would be just about in your price range. PLENTY of options and inputs.. TV, reversing camera, DAB, ipod to name a few. Touch screen as well.

I am unsure of the engine dymanics, but the X1 does to Lateral G, Acceleration, angles and a few other vehicle dynamics.

The added bonus of the X1, is that it has satnav as well, and a damn good one at that!

So good infact, I purchased it twice!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Lol, i'm an x1r owner looking to buy another for the second car, great unit but it gets even more expensive once you spec up the TV addon / DAB / Camera and such.

Some of the cheaper alpine and kenwood screens work well, but expect to pay £500 for just the unit and spend another 200 - 300 on adding features to it, better off getting the x1r in the first place and live without the TV not like you can use it unless you dual zone.

Oh and just earth the handbrake wire to make it work all the time, mine aint set like this ;)

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
Lol, i'm an x1r owner looking to buy another for the second car, great unit but it gets even more expensive once you spec up the TV addon / DAB / Camera and such.

Some of the cheaper alpine and kenwood screens work well, but expect to pay £500 for just the unit and spend another 200 - 300 on adding features to it, better off getting the x1r in the first place and live without the TV not like you can use it unless you dual zone.

Oh and just earth the handbrake wire to make it work all the time, mine aint set like this ;)

My handbrake is ALSO NOT set like this.

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
As i see it currently, New Bluetooth version is 1400 - 1600, X1r is between 850 - 950, wouldn't touch a secondhand unit since its probably the property of someone else ;)

Could be worth a look http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=5079

Only £400!

thats a good price, I was going to Ebay my X1 for about 500, I have all the receipts somewhere, new in a box :(
cant believe I paid over 1k for it, and its been installed for 1 week then deinstalled.

Back
Top Bottom