Wallmount Plasma

Soldato
At 12ft+ you can relax in a recliner sofa and watch a set thats quite high on the wall.

But Plasma over a fireplace... do you use the fire? Dunno about modern plasma's but the older ones had fans in the back trying to keep them cool. Id have thought putting one over the fire would lead to heat issues, and dust problems to, as the fireplace tends to cause an updraft of dust above it.

Soldato
I trick I saw on another website was to cut out a cardboard rectangle the same size as the plasma you want and stick it to the wall above the fire, maybe outline where the actual picture will be. Sit and sater at this for a few hours and see if your neck hurts. Also you need to directy measure the temperature above the fireplace with it on full blast. If its a coal/wood fire though I wouldn't bother.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I really really wouldnt, i know that my plasma gets quite hot as it is and draws air up through it. If it were above the fire it'd get extremely hot indeed.

Soldato
My first question is:

Do you use the fireplace as a fireplace.

Second question:

If so, what sort of fire do you have installed?

Third question,

Got a pic of your room?

Associate
OP
My first question is:

Do you use the fireplace as a fireplace. No

Second question:

If so, what sort of fire do you have installed? Gas, disconnected

Third question,

Got a pic of your room? as you can see the previous owners already had a plasma fitted
livingroom.jpg

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Although i think it'll be awfully high if you dont use the fire then you can obviously mount it there no problems.

To mount it simply buy a bracket and follow the instructions, there is a generic one on ebay for £50 which is of very very good quality and will take virtually any flat panel display. Ive installed a few plasma's using these.

Soldato
How about getting the fire properly removed, and boarded up then mounting the screen lower?

You could even incorporate your AV rack into the wall (existing fire "hole").

If you want more info and tips on doing this let me know.

What I think is a nice touch is to build a fake 2inch deep wall ontop of the fire so that the plasma is recessed into the wall, you also then have space to run the cabling.

Associate
Ive had my 43" pioneer plasma mounted above my fireplace for about 6months now had no problems. Its wall mounted at 1m25cm from floor level to the bottom of the screen and my sofa is 2m50cm from the plasma. As for the thing about your neck hurting is rubbish no problems ever for me and if you have got a stiff neck you could point your eyeballs up :rolleyes: . Also had no problems with overheating above my gas fire but I only use it on realy cold winter nights and there is no mention of not installing it above a fire place in pioneers instalation or user manuels. If my room layout alowed it I would have instaled it at eye level but I am very happy with it above the fire place. Check out the pic of my instalation below and I will gladly answer any questions.
dscf00146ir.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the picture matey..looks like a really neat job u done there - your fire looks identical to mine:).
QandA
Is that your a/v rack on the right?
How did you route your wiring behind the wall?
What's the length of the cables?

Associate
The cupboard on the right is what I am using for an a/v rack its just a flat pack from Ikea I modified. The good thing with the pioneer PDP-436XDE it comes with a seperate media box thats where most of the conections are made.
pdpr06xeback_medium.jpg

pdpr06xe_la_medium.jpg

the only cables that go to te screen is a power lead (kettle plug type) and the one in the photo below witch is 3m long a 10m one is also avalible.
pda_h03_thumbnail.jpg

I was quite lucky with the wall it is a dot and dab wall so there is a cavity between the plaster board and the block work. I was able to fish the cables through this cavity. Mine is a brand new house in older houses you wont find dot and dab walls so you might have to chase the cables in the wall or dry line the wall to form a cavity.

Soldato
I have mine 1m from the floor and its higher than a normal tv would be but not as high as a screen above a fireplace would be.

1m is fine, i imgine 1.25 would be ok but not sure if personally i could live with it. A m8 of mine put his above a fireplace and is happy with it - he actually put a cardboard cutout on the wall to see if it would be ok.

Associate
OP
Thanks BIGbundle nice plasma but its way out of my price range. its either the Hitachi 42" 7200 or 37" Panasonic px60 as 1400 including mount is my budget, plus 100 for cables and another 100 for replastering

Associate
Da[]San said:
Thanks BIGbundle nice plasma but its way out of my price range. its either the Hitachi 42" 7200 or 37" Panasonic px60 as 1400 including mount is my budget, plus 100 for cables and another 100 for replastering

Just a thought mate, Do you have an av amp and speakers?

If so the Panasonic PWD8 is a cracking panel but thats all it is, has no speakers and you add the output boards you want.Many believe it is the best at this price range but its not just a case of pluging it in.

Have a search on AVfoums if you are interested.

Associate
The recommended height for a screen, is that your eye level is at the centre of the screen from the position that you view it from.

The father in law had a CRT on a heavy duty TV bracket high up the wall in his living room. It made his lounge look like the public bar of a pub, and a hour of people watching it, they had to book up a appointment with a physio!

Soldato
Used to have my plasma over the fireplace in the old house, but I banned the missus from actually using the fire!

It was pretty high up the wall, and took some getting used to, but wasn't too bad.

To give some idea of its height from the floor, you can see the picture rail just above the screen below. That picture rail is just under 8 feet from floor level.

plasma.JPG

(Go on, Mo, you tell 'im)

I used the pukka Sony wall brackets for the screen, which allowed it to be tilted forwards. They cost £300.00.

We sat just over 10 feet from the screen, and once you've reclined in the sofa and got comfy, it's not bad to watch that high up.

In the new house it's mounted much lower, more eye level (but above dog-nose level! :))

Hav

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom