• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Low Power CPU?

Associate
Hi all,

Been out of this for a good few months..just wondered what the lowest power CPU you can currently get is?

Its going to be for a media pc so will need a bit of performance but nothing special.

Soldato
Thought about getting a Dothan (pentium-m) - they are about as low as you can get really. You'd need a compatible mobo and 479 ASUS adapter though.

Did I misunderstand power as in Watts and not processing power?

If I did, then I blame my exams :p.

Look at something like a 3000+ AMD64 - they can be picked up really cheap 2nd user and if not, semprons aren't too bad.

Soldato
your best of going with athlon 64, it will end up costing you much less in the long run, socket 479 processors are horribly expensive, so are the motherboards, i mean £100 for something with two ram slots and a PCI-E, bit steep in my opinion

Soldato
Gashman said:
your best of going with athlon 64, it will end up costing you much less in the long run, socket 479 processors are horribly expensive, so are the motherboards, i mean £100 for something with two ram slots and a PCI-E, bit steep in my opinion
Only if you buy the 533 bus versions. The 400mhz bus versions are cheap and so are the processors - £30 or so for a 1.6ghz usually. Thats more than enough power for media (p4 2.8ghz-ish) and will use vry little power and possibly even be able to run passive/ultra low noise heatsink/fan. I think youcan pick up the ASUS compatible motherboards for about £30-50 and then the adapter at about £20. Then again, I'd probably say A64 3000+ like yourself as hassle wise, it's much more user friendly.

Enable Cool'n'Quiet on the A64 and it downclocks to about 900mhz at idle, saving a lot of power.

Last edited:
Suspended
I'd get an A64 3000+ venice and undervolt it (should take 1.2v at 1.8Ghz easily I think), or even underclock it as well - nice and cheap, plus good performance.

Caporegime
=assassin= said:
I'd get an A64 3000+ venice and undervolt it (should take 1.2v at 1.8Ghz easily I think), or even underclock it as well - nice and cheap, plus good performance.

That would be the way I'd go, either a S754 Sempron E revision or a S939 Venice.

Tried Pentium Ms using the CT-479 adaptor but its all a bit of a bodge tbh.

Associate
If you can find one, a Turion MT-28 or higher will use 25W at 1.6GHz and upwards. Or the ML-28 or higher will use 35W at 1.6GHz and upwards.

Might pay more for one of those than a sempron mobile (S754), but they come with SSE3 and 64 Bit instruction sets.

I personally have all three lol. Got a Turion MT-34 in the media pc, Sempron mobile 2600 25W in the yet to be completed file server, and a A64 3700 in the main pc.

Back
Top Bottom