Hyundai Coupe possible Mods

Associate
Howdy all, so - the time has come for me to consider modding my Hyundai Coupe F2

The only thing so far i can think of, which has interested me quite a bit is the AEM Cold Air Intake system.

racinglab_1894_142509436

Not sure of the benefits over a K&N Induction kit, but thats something you are all for!

Other things considered so far, listed below.

Highly Possible
---------------
Refurb alloys (Kerbed severely from previous owner)

New Alloys, looking to spend ~7-800 on a decent set, not sure what style as yet, still looking (Advice plx?) (16" right now, would like 17's on low profile tyres

Refurb bodykit, if possible, crack in the front of it, not really noticable, not even sure if you can refurb bodykits, but i'd like my car to be immaculate.

Maybe..
----------
Respray, probably a partial respray to eliminate some scratches
ICE install
Other engine mods? (no idea?)

Pics of the car, copied from my old thread -

Back of the car and myself

Front-ish view of the car

Frontal view

Another front-ish view

Engine bay

Some of the interior

So, so far there is one thing on my shopping list - advice on the other things, and more importantly, what do you think it would cost? i know next to nothing about the internals of a car, so i wouldnt know where to start fitting things myself.

EDIT---

Ive also been told my spoiler is hideous(sp?) So, if you can find one which doesnt look ridiculous - go for it

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure here, but i reckon lots of mitsubishi bits would transfer over.

Also, are the wheels 4 or 5 stud?

If 5, then a nice set of Evo 7/8 alloys with tyres are about £400.
Edit:

Looks like 4 stud, but still, thats early evo wheels.

Soldato
Well..

Go for Induction, then an exhaust maybe. Even a custom one wouldnt cost too much.

A decat is an idea for a few extra horses.

You should have a search through ebay, do a worldwide search though, as im sure these were popular in the US.

You might want to lower it a touch if not already done, springs are cheap enough.

Other than that you could look at generic mods, fuel, pressure, air etc etc, but the gains would be small.

Soldato
Well first things first, none of the mistu stuff transfers over. The cars are closer mechanically to Mazda's then Mistu's. Prime example is the Gen 3 Coupe can take alloys from an RX-8. That's about it unfortunately.

Also get yourself over to the owners club forums: http://xorro.xpmg.co.uk/phpbb2/

Lot's of horrible mods there but much better car-specific information.

There's also a couple of sites that sell Coupe stuff. www.performancecoupe.co.uk is the Brit site. www.sharkracing.com is the US site and www.kspec.com is the Korean site.

If it was my money (and you want primarily power increases), i'd start with the CAI. AEM is a good one but will require some modification to the arch lining. In the mean time, take off the air duct on the front of your air box for a quick and free induction sound increase.

I'd then go for a new manifold, full exhuast system with a decat pipe (also a cat to pop in for MOTs). Then the intake cam from the 1.8 Lantra engine. I think after that you're looking at lightened pulleys and stuff but from what i've heard they increase the chances of your electrics cutting out when you have your wipers, lights, stereo etc on.

So you're a few hundred quid lighter and you've got 10, maybe 15 extra horses if you're lucky. So you're only looking at around 150-155bhp overall. You really have to ask yourself if it's worth it tbh. I think the money would be better spent on handling mods, far more noticeable. That's just my opinion though :)

Soldato
Apologies on the mitsubishi misslead.

Must have got twisted up with the previous incarnation.

Although im sure 4 stud mitsubishi alloys fit 96> coupes.

Open to be proven wrong tho'

EDIT:

Just reading through the owners site given, it appears that i was right.

;)

Also, worth reading about the evo engines in coupes..

Last edited:
Soldato
Axeboy said:
EDIT:

Just reading through the owners site given, it appears that i was right.

;)

Also, worth reading about the evo engines in coupes..

Wow, didn't know that. But even if the alloys did fit you'd have to drill recesses into the wheel to allow room for the captive rotors. What 4 stud Mitsu alloys are around then? Anything decent?

And yeah, one bloke put an evo engine into a Coupe, can't see you doing that though ;)

There's also a Coupe in the states with two engines. One for the front wheels, one for the rear wheels. Runs some awesome 1/4 mile times.

Soldato
One guy done the evo engine and 4wd into a coupe...

But evo engines straight in seem to be reasonably popular in the states.

As for the mitsu alloys... anything for the evo 1-3 plus the standard 4 stud models should fit.

A nice wheel to think about is the Galant Sport alloys.

Associate
OP
Well, not neccessarily engine mods, i know im not going to get much out of it, the CAI would probably be as far as i would go in the end to tell the truth, its more the cosmetic side of things im interested in right now, want to get the car looking as tidy as possible

Associate
OP
Oh, and how much would it cost to get new brakes on each corner? There isnt anything seriously wrong with them at the moment as such, other than the fact that one side squeaks like.. a lot when im braking at slow speeds.

Soldato
Morthoseth said:
Oh, and how much would it cost to get new brakes on each corner? There isnt anything seriously wrong with them at the moment as such, other than the fact that one side squeaks like.. a lot when im braking at slow speeds.

New brakes as in standard replacements? You can upgrade to the 2 pot brakes off the Hyundai XG for about £500 iirc.

Associate
OP
Sounds like plan then, i take it that would be a new set of discs / calipers all around for £500? or am i mistaken

Realisticly im looking to spend maybe 1000-1200 on it, so 500 on brakes, 500 on alloys, 200? on AEM CAI

Leave the crack in the front bumper and the scratches as they are - sounds pretty good to me

But thats for the parts, not the fitting, which would add another hundred or two i'd imagine

Soldato
Just two minor cosmetic things that I think you should do to your car:

- Clear side repeaters
- Silver indicator bulbs (they flash orange)

Soldato
This is not having a pop or anything like that (each to his own etc) but would it not be better to put the cash away for somehing better?

To get any real performance gains out of it you are going to have to spend serious cash which with the value of the car could get you something special in stock form.

I am all for tweaking and making things your own but you do need a good base to start with and with the greatest respect to you and other coupe owners I don't think this car really is that.

I have driven one (can't remember the model now as I am getting on abit :p) and it just felt very uninspiring and pretty unsporty (it wasn't a base model either ;))

If you do anyhting to it just go for light cosmetic changes like the wheels and indicators etc

Realistically what do you want in the future? If you want more power then its going to be a new car, I know when I had my 2ltr 16v Calibra I was all geared up for 4pot big brakes, throttle bodies new ecu, but realised that the amount it was going to cost and the upgrades needed to the rest of the car to get the rest up to the same level, that it wasn't worth it.

I bought some cheap 17s that transformed the look and saved my cash to buy an e36 M3 18months later, again even with that I didn't do too much as I upgraded to the e46 M3. Now I am seriously looking at upgrades as I have an excellent starting level with which to build on.

Just my opinion which you can ignore but maybe see some sence in there ;)

edit:
Also at your tender age the mods will bring a large penalty insurance wise for a almost non existant power increase, even at 27 alloys and a induction kit stuck £150 a year on my insurance

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks a lot for the input steve, appreciate it mate

I know what you mean about buying something better, it is a very good point, however right now my options as far as 'fast' cars went were the F2 Evo at something like 8 seconds to 60, or the mx5, anything else would be a modified car from what i saw.

The way i was thinking it, after taking out a 5k loan to start with for car + insurance, i could easily add an extra 1k to the loan and only add about 30-40 extra per month for the next 2 years (2 year loan). After which i plan on selling it and going for something better, although there is the bracket between better, and BETTER - if you know what i mean?

In two years time at 21 with 2-3 years NCB, im not going to get insured on a Teggy, CTR or something like that.

In all honesty, i cant think of anything in between thats a coupe, if you have any suggestions for then i'd love to hear them!

Soldato
You do have your age against you which is the killer :(

I am a bit lost on suggestions as I can't remember when I last looked at a car that wasn't insurance group 20 :p

I only have 2 yncb but being a wrinkly 27 means I can insure the m3 FC for a modest £1200 :eek:

Would a mr2 tubby be too dear for you insurance wise?

I feel a fool for suggesting the different car option only to be totally lost at what to suggest :p

damn it, where is everyone else whn you needed them!!!!

Associate
OP
Haha, that was my dilemma when i sat down to think about it.

Do i take the extra 1k out and make the loan over 3 years, treat my car to a few tasteful mods, then stick it out till im 21-22 and think again then?

An MR2 is quite a good suggestion, although im not sure the difference between the two would be big enough to warrant a change.

While im a huge fan of cars, i wouldnt know where to start under the bonnet, and since i dont drink or smoke, i have plenty of my income to spend, now in this current job (straight from college at 14k a year), i get 900 or so a month to spend, pennies compared to you im sure!

But right now, 220 goes to car loan, 100 random expenses, 200 into savings for insurance / whatever (Up to 1.8k so far) then whatever left is expendable.

Save up, do like jollygreen and go for the nice car early on and spend a premium? (Although i dont want to kill myself)

or stick with the one i have, its not like its amazingly slow anyway, does for what i want it to at least, then upgrade to something i want (Ultimately an S2000.. maybe when im 25 :p)

But there we go, cheers for the advice steve, not sure where to go on this one now though, you've got me thinking :p

Soldato
the s2000 is a top car my mate has a rather tweaked one ;)

you probably have as much spare cash as me lol my car costs me £388 in repayments alone ;)

The Mr2 tubby would give you a god base to sstart on, turbo'd cars are always easier to get more bhp for £s than NA cars. To get another 25-28 out of mine aI need a racing cat and back box and remap which will nail me £2700 (to be fair it is a higly tuned engine at stock)

I would probably go for an older/higher milage car and spend more on the insurance, if ultimatly you are only going to keep it for a few years (term of the loan) you might aswell have something you really enjoy ha may not be worth all that muc at the end of it, as you could get another (bigger) loan for something more special and pay more on that than the insurance.

Back
Top Bottom