Gutted!!

Soldato
So I was all set to build my new 7900gtx sli rig this evening when I opened the box my Akasa case came in. I noticed the outside box was torn, and the inside box looks a bit mishapen. And shock...the sidepanel would not come off because someone must have sat on the thing. Baldy dented it was, and the inside top rail was also pushed in when I eventually got the side off. the top was also badly scratched, like someone ran a screwdriver over it. I then opened the box the advanced sidepanel came in, and bits of the fan fell out onto the floor, panel also scratched. What's going on ? Is there a phantom PC case vandal working for Parcelforce ? I can't believe something this bad could get out of the factory. I know it's only a case, but build is on hold now, not to mention selling old rig to friend. I will try to take pics tonight nd post. Needless to say, webnote is in requesting RMA. Not exactly cheap sending stuff from Ireland back to the UK either.

Soldato
Jebus!

That sounds bad, some serious bad luck. Claim your costs against the Parcel company, if they say no just start getting mean / go to Citizens advice bureau.

Unlucky, very unlucky.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah...unlucky is right. I think OcUK will cover the cost of me sending it back to them. I am going to get a refund and order another case today as I can't really wait around, since this build needs to be done by Saturday. In hindsight I am glad it wasn't a Tj07 I ordered !!

This brings me to a question.

I have 2 choices....I won't order an Akasa again and tempt fate.
And pricey cases are out now as budget is completely used up.

So I can do 1 of the following :

1. I can order a Lian-Li PC7-Plus black. In stock now at Ocuk again but not 100% sure if they have 2 120mm fans. Still being advertised as rear 80mm fan. Competition has them for 12 quid more and are calling them the SE and are advertising them as 2x120mm fans. Asking the shop sometimes is pointless as they have often said to me whatever is advertised is what they have.

2. I saw a luvly Coolermaster Wavemaster silver in a local PC store the other day. Pricey. About 100 quid. I know these things can be made quiet, but it means investing in quiet 80mm fans which don't push that much air I think, and then I wonder would a case like this like SLI ? I am going to be running an exteme edition P4 overclocked to 4.3ghz too. Would the wavemaster handle it with ambers all round including the top (means loosing the usb ports), and I hear the front 80mm fans are not easy to get at.

Please let me know what is the best option. Thanks.

Soldato
The wavemaster would be running very very hot and is not really a option.

The PC7+ OcUK sells, as far as I know the last load that have been shipped have been the 120mm/120mm cases. The PC7aSE is a old case now, not worth the extra money.

PC7+ is the safe bet out of the two.

Soldato
OP
Actually the other site I was looking at have the

PC-7 SE PLUS

This looks identical to the one OcuK sells but is advertised with 2x120mm fans.

I think I will go down this route. Although I prefer the look of the wavemaster. Just wondering how OcUK managed to sell their ultimate systems in the wm for so long.

Soldato
They are fine running SLI, perfectly stable.

Just the temperatures get to what most people would consider silly quite easily.

Soldato
OP
Well bummer, my credit card is maxed again at least until the payment I made hits in a few days. Dilemma is current pc is sold (one I am using now) and have to transfer bits out before Sat. so very limited no. of cases to choose from in local pc shop.

There are 3 :

Jeantech Phong 2 (has a 140mm front fan)
Jeantech G-Max
CM Wavemaster (which I suspect is the display model)

And another shop carries this Icute with a simar 140mm fan.

In theory I could get one of these, and transfer setup to better case next week once cash comes through.

I am tempted to get the Wavemaster though as I like the design so much.

How noisy are the stock fans ? Don't have any 4pin molex to 3pin adaptor cables lying around so would not be able to run them off a fan controller I have and don't want to volt mod the fans. Would it be easy to switch the front ones out, do you need a special torque screwdriver to get at them ?

Soldato
Easy to replace, the fans make a racket by my ear.

If you want the wavemaster, get it and dont buy any new kit for it, just bung it all in that you have ordered and quieten it down when you have access to the net shopping.

Soldato
OP
Can the top panel be removed and replaced with an 80mm fan.
I imagine with 2 80mm outtakes and 2 intakes, things would run reasonably cool. With ambers it would not be too bad, and I could slap them on a fan controller.

I happen to have 4 or 5 of the 80mm ones lying around :)

<edit>Looks like a friend might order the Lian-Li for me on his credit card :)</edit>

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I am sorted. A mate ordered me a Lian Li P7 SE +. Got 2 Nexus 120mm and 1 Nexus 80mm fans lined up too. Should be here Friday. Rig done by Friday night. Sell current PC on Sunday.

I am sitting here looking at the following on the table and no case to put it in ! :
2x7900gtx's,asus p5n32-sli delixe mobo,p4 965 extreme 3.77,2x150gig raptors,2x500gig WD se16's,Plextor SATA dvdrw, Artic Silencer 7 Pro,4gigs Corsair ddr2 6400,Antec NeoHE 550.

With that extreme running at 4.2ghz plus it should be a right powerful system.

Both the gtx's will do 700/1760 too, though probably slower in SLI.

Soldato
OP
Yeah.....I was just digging out realms of the haunting, sam and max, bladerunner and grimfandango :)

Hopefully the couriers wont use the LianLi case as a seat in the warehouse this time.

Soldato
You know what is going to happen.

It will be shipped in the same crate as an elephant, and it will get to you in bits, or with a surprise inside...

If it happens again, buy a Cheiftec Scorpio / Dragon, now if that gets wrecked you can feel safe that it killed a few forklifts and people toes while dying. Tank, utter tank.

Soldato
OP
I know...I had the Chieftec Matrix tower thingy before. I still have to find a desktop case that is as awkward to lift as the blasted Dimension XPS, or the Antec P180 come to think of it.

Soldato
OP
For God sake.....aaarrrghhhh... My lian li pc7 se arrives and the blasted sidepanel has a big scratch on it. Didn't even buy it from OcuK. 2nd case in a row. Different courier too. Is there some sort of coordinated effort to damage all PC cases that are coming from the UK to my address in Ireland ??? ANNOYED.

Associate
a1ex2001 said:
did you annoy a gypsy or what? Thats some seriously Bad luck! I for one am thanking my lucky stars I've never had anything destoryed by a courier.....yet!

I had a nice mountain bike delivered once, dents, mashed, torn seat.. the whole nine yards... just looked at the delivery bloke (old geezer, fag hanging out his gob) told him what he could do with it, laughed, shut tha door!

Couriers couldnt care less.... if its going to Ireland... just more couriers not to care about your goods!

There must be somewhere locally that sells decent cases? Hope so for your sake... thats really bad luck!

Soldato
OP
The shop I bought from are pretty decent and replaced a sidepanel once for me before. So fingers crossed. It's very annoying though as everytime I buy stuff I am rolling the dice. Thanks everyone for the support...sniff.. :(

Permabanned
Ouch that is a powerful system. If the lian li dont work out then STACKER ***!

BTW, those will be some hot HD's how will you cool them all?

Back
Top Bottom