Windows Repair, What does it actually do?

Permabanned
Hi,
as title really.
My computer acts quite strange lately and I don't really want to format. Will a repair delete my installed programs and games?
Will I have to reinstall anything except drivers?
Cheers.

MC_Bob

Soldato
A pepair in simple terms mearly performs an upgrade over the the existing windows installation, retaining current settings, files and installed programs.

It will replace anything that has been removed since the intial installtion of windows ie: registry settings, missing dll's etc

They can be useful if experiencing minor problems.

For a detailed view of the entire repair feature set of windows xp (which im assuming your using) follow the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...se_when_a_system_will_not_start.mspx?mfr=true

Permabanned
OP
Ok,
Repairing windows and when it gets to the second stage, (when it has a mouse) it gets stuck at 34mins left and wont go farther.
I restarted and got stuck at the same place, been like this for about 10 mins.
What should I do?

Cheers.

MC_Bob

Edit - Also stops reading CD and HDD. Please help got a faulty computer now :mad:

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Ok this is serious.
Ive tried two different CDs and both do not pass 34minutes ?!?!?

What the hell is up?
Can I go back to the setup I had before?
Am I doing something wrong?
There is no activity at all...
Thanks in advance

MC_Bob

Soldato
Okay first question: Did you backup everything before you started the repair?
Second question: In what way was Windows being weird prior to your repair?

The cause for the weirdness may be linked to why you're having a problem with the repair.

Without knowing more I would hazard either a HDD or RAM problem.

SiriusB

Permabanned
OP
SiriusB said:
Okay first question: Did you backup everything before you started the repair?Nope, didn't think I had to.
Second question: In what way was Windows being weird prior to your repair? CPUz always said it had already been run. Plus some stuff stopped working, applications like CPUz

The cause for the weirdness may be linked to why you're having a problem with the repair.

Without knowing more I would hazard either a HDD or RAM problem.

SiriusB
Also would Overclocking do this?
I may drop the clocks first and see what happens.

MC_Bob

Last edited:
Permabanned
OP
Bah,
Under clocking and reseting BIOS does nout, please help :(

MC_Bob

Now it needs the file idecoi.dll, cant find it on the disc.
Can someone direct me to a copy?
Thanks

Edit again - Found idecoi.dll on the HDD but it still doesnt pass that stage.
Any way to revert the actions i took?

Triple EDIT - It seems to be doing something but its going mega slow, just asked if I wanted to install my Graphics card, will keep posting updates whether you likeit or not :D

MC_Bob

Last edited:
Soldato
Well first of all dont worry about not backing up - the Windows Repair doesnt touch any of your files so if it never finishes and Windows doesn't boot you can just shove the HDD in another machine [as slave if IDE] and get your stuff back.

Since I think you have a hardware problem I would probably see about getting your files back asap in case it is your HDD.

My first action would probably to reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows and see what happens. If all is well then it will probably have been something wrong with your previous install.

If you have trouble with a fresh install next step would be to test your RAM using something like Memtest86. If you have a RAM problem this should find it. I would leave it running overnight to be absolutely certain but any serious problems should show up pretty quickly.

If your RAM passes Memtest all I can think of is trying another HDD and see if you have success with that.

Assuming all the above doesn't turn up a problem it could be something to do with your motherboard or CPU - possibly even your DVD/CD-ROM drive, though I am not sure how this would nerf a Windows installation.

This post is assuming it is a hardware problem so I would probably wait for some more answers off other members before going on a mission. It may well be a software issue that I have considered.

Hope this helps :)

SiriusB

Soldato
Drivers tend to end up in Windows/System32 or Windows/System32/Drivers folders.

Although those are the installation directories, good chance the driver files may be kept elsewhere.

SiriusB

Permabanned
OP
Ok cool,
Ive decided to install X64 on the second partition and get all my files on there, but I changed the boot order of the OS's and now when I click X64 edition when it asks me which OS I want, it boots up the faulty XP install :confused:

I may have screwed over that file so does anyone know where I can get it?

I cant even write a new intsall on it, doesnt see that partition.

Cheers.

MC_Bob

Back
Top Bottom