Bristol Uni

Associate
Right, I'm off to bristol uni in october to start an MPhys degree. Got my accomodation application pack last week, need to fill the form in. Could do with a bit of help with tailoring my personal statement thingy to the halls I want to get into. So first thing first, are manor hall and northwell house good choices for first and second?

And what is there that I can tailor it to, or should I apply elsewhere (I don't want to be in the stoke trent area).

cheers for any help.

Soldato
Don't apply for student houses like Northwell house. You really do want to be in a proper halls of residence. Goldney is probably the best and it's not all the way in stoke bishop. Don't know about manor hall but I guess it's probably ok. I live in Woodland Court which is nice and close to everything but it really doesn't have much atmosphere. I wouldn't worry about the personal statement for accomodation, I don't think there's any need to tailor it for a specific place.

Associate
OP
well, got a load of mates there already, visited, one of them is in uni hall atm. All my mates are going to be closer to the centre of town, and it would be rather annoying to have to travel that far on a regular basis.

Associate
OP
therandom said:
The walk really isn't that bad - unless you're planning on walking to uni, back and then down to your mates house and back every evening - in which case closer halls might be a better option...

Possibly ;)

Well, theres thing like I intend to carry on with my judo, and I don't want to have to travel that distance after a hard session.

And oh yes, I play double bass. I'm taking mine with me. I think that distance is a bit too much.

Soldato
I've been living in Churchill again in my 4th year (was here as a fresher too) - and I love it to bits :D It's a bit run-down but very much a fun place.

Most of the other Stokey B halls seem to be fun - Hiatt Baker is apparently quite slummy but I am told the atmosphere is great. Wills Hall people love Wills, mainly as they're all a bit posh and Wills wishes it was an Oxford College. Badock seems fine too, though admit I don't know much about it.

University Hall has lots of separate flats instead of corridors and blocks, and it's self-catered so people end up a bit isolated. Ask kreeeeee about UH. Same with Durdham - wonderful facilities, however the security codes and fire-doors on each flat make it very isolated, again. Plus their invitation-only (!) bar is generally very quiet despite being really nice and well stocked.

If you want to get stuck in and make friends and stuff, I'd recommend the catered halls - I never wanted to be catered when I first came here, but I was plonked in Churchill and found that dinner time is one of the great bringer-togetherers of fresher life.

Err, well I've been at Bristol uni coming up for 4 years now. Any questions?

Also, therandom, are you TheRandom from IRC?!?!

Man of Honour
Avoid uni hall, it's ****. Hiatt baker has the best social side as far as I have noticed and durdham and wills are dull places to live.

Edit: Baddock rocks too, in fact all the halls up here beat UH hands down so don't be daft enough to let an opinion of one hall put you off.

Socaddict said:
well, got a load of mates there already, visited, one of them is in uni hall atm. All my mates are going to be closer to the centre of town, and it would be rather annoying to have to travel that far on a regular basis.

OOh what flat? I may have met him.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ya know, Kreee, odds are I've actually seen you. When I was over in Bristol around the 20th of January, Went and visited Dan's place to see his models (I know him through a Warhammer forum). He pointed out people to me. Gaz, isn't it?

Back
Top Bottom