May is Motorcycle Awareness Month

Soldato
MAY IS MOTORCYCLE AWARENESS MONTH.

Unfortunately, most of the folks that need to see this won't, but here goes anyway. This also demonstrates the American attitude of stereotyping bikers. I don't know if its the same in the UK or not. Feel free to discuss.

For all who Know Motorcycle Riders

I saw you, hug your purse closer to you in the grocery store line. But, you didn't see me, put an extra $10.00 in the collection plate last Sunday.

I saw you, pull your child closer when we passed each other on the sidewalk. But, you didn't see me, playing Santa at the local mall.

I saw you, change your mind about going into the restaurant. But, you didn't see me, attending a meeting to raise more money for the hurricane relief.

I saw you, roll up your window and shake your head when I drove by. But, you didn't see me, driving behind you when you flicked your cigarette butt out the car window.

I saw you, frown at me when I smiled at your children. But, you didn't see me, when I took time off from work to run toys to the homeless.

I saw you, stare at my long hair. But, you didn't see me, and my friends cut ten inches off for Locks of Love.

I saw you, roll your eyes at our leather coats and gloves. But, you didn't see me, and my brothers donate our old coats and gloves to those that had none.

I saw you, look in fright at my tattoos. But, you didn't see me, cry as my children where born and have their name written over and in my heart.

I saw you, change lanes while rushing off to go somewhere. But, you didn't see me, going home to be with my family.

I saw you, complain about how loud and noisy our bikes can be. But, you didn't see me, when you were changing the CD and drifted into my lane.

I saw you, yelling at your kids in the car. But, you didn't see me, pat my child's hands, knowing he was safe behind me.

I saw you, reading the newspaper or map as you drove down the road. But, you didn't see me, squeeze my wife's leg when she told me to take the next turn.

I saw you, race down the road in the rain. But, you didn't see me, get soaked to the skin so my son could have the car to go on his date.

I saw you, run the yellow light just to save a few minutes of time. But, you didn't see me, trying to turn right.

I saw you, cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in. But, you didn't see me, leave the road.

I saw you, waiting impatiently for my friends to pass. But, you didn't see me. I wasn't there.

I saw you, go home to your family. But, you didn't see me. Because, I died that day you cut me off.

I was just a biker,.....
A person with friends and a family.
But, you didn't see me.

Associate
Good food for thought. I'm generally pretty bike aware due to living near to a big biker hangout so used to them screaming up / past me at 130+

Soldato
So we only need to be aware of motorcyclists during May?

As a (ex) biker I understand the problem only too well, but it seems silly to have an "awareness month". Better driver training (and free prescription glasses in some cases) would be of greater benefit to all.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
I saw you, cut me off because you needed to be in the lane I was in. But, you didn't see me, leave the road.

Had that happen to me tho thankfully (obviously) i didnt die.

Nice sentiments, tho not all applicable (the more harley-esque type biker stuff) to all bikers...

Suspended
Numerous times I've had "cagers" pull out in front of me on roundabouts or at junctions. Dont car drivers know we have kevlar on our glove knuckles?? I dont rise to them however as its not work it - plus they have bigger vehicles than my lil bike!!

Soldato
i will start being aware of bikers when i see at least one sensible on the road, most of them drive like nutters, and i have yet to see one doing 30 in a 30 zone, in fact i have yet to see one stick ot the limit anywhere.

not my favourite road users

Associate
Car drivers should be aware of bikers more but at the same time it doesnt give bikers the right to do what ever the hell they like on the Roads. One of my close friends has a new bike and drives it like a Crazy Fool :D Sorry Doug. hehe.

Suspended
I'm a biker and true, a lot of bikers are nutters but most are normal. Some of them **** me off when im doing 30 *ahem* in a 30 and they scream past but the most annoying creature on earth is the scooter rider. They are worse than anything - not only because they look stupid, but they havent had to do a proper test so know nothing about how to ride on the roads.

On the subject of cars vs bikes though, if you only have car no claims, you cant put those towards bike insurance. If you have bike no claims companies accept them towards car insurance. What does that tell you ;)

I have a mate who drives a 306 whos a crazy nutter round town!

FULLY star your swearing.

Otacon

Last edited:
Soldato
dougguk said:
True, a lot of bikers are nutters but most are normal. Some of them **** me off when im doing 30 *ahem* in a 30 and they scream past but the most annoying creature on earth is the scooter rider. They are worse than anything - not only because they look stupid, but they havent had to do a proper test so know nothing about how to ride on the roads.

On the subject of cars vs bikes though, if you only have car no claims, you cant put those towards bike insurance. If you have bike no claims comapanies accept them towards car insurance. What does that tell you ;)

i hear you. I live in weston super mare, a coastal town,and the scooter brigade is the new in thing, maybe coz its cheaper than getting a car etc. can you believe i saw one bombing about the other day wearing just a helmet and shorts ?!?! topless and bare kness ... what an idiot. He was driving 2 inches behind me, if i had braked suddenly he wouldnt be here.

I have never had a biker let me out, or wait in the queue, or show me any road consideration at all, most of the ones i have seen drive in the cross hatchings in the middle of the road as "their" lane and use it for overtaking, infact almost all bikers i have seen seem to think its fine to drive most of their journey in the wrong (opposing) lane, as they just overtake all the time.

but i am sure i have just been unlucky, and there must be nice ones out there

sa for judging a biker on how he looks ... well, i would never judge anyone on how they look. full stop. I used to be the biggest goth ever (back in the 80's) and am very open minded about appearance.

Associate
I look out for motorcyclists the problem is that many of them on the road are just nutters.

Undertaking for example seems to be the favorite way of getting killed.

One guy the other day came zooming by me so quick at the lights i almost hit him as i accellerated away, cos the idiot thought he could get away with it.

Suspended
FYI the cross hatchings in the middle of the road are there to space the two lanes out from each other. If its not a solid line down the side of the cross hatchings you are allowed to overtake in them or use them to filter on a bike. They are simply there for spacing out the lanes.

It's in the Highway code :)

Soldato
dougguk said:
FYI the cross hatchings in the middle of the road are there to space the two lanes out from each other. If its not a solid line down the side of the cross hatchings you are allowed to overtake in them or use them to filter on a bike. They are simply there for spacing out the lanes.

It's in the Highway code :)

FYI i knew that, i meant even when the lines are solid !!

;)

Associate
Toryglen-boy said:
i hear you. I live in weston super mare, a coastal town,and the scooter brigade is the new in thing, maybe coz its cheaper than getting a car etc. can you believe i saw one bombing about the other day wearing just a helmet and shorts ?!?! topless and bare kness ... what an idiot. He was driving 2 inches behind me, if i had braked suddenly he wouldnt be here.

I have never had a biker let me out, or wait in the queue, or show me any road consideration at all, most of the ones i have seen drive in the cross hatchings in the middle of the road as "their" lane and use it for overtaking, infact almost all bikers i have seen seem to think its fine to drive most of their journey in the wrong (opposing) lane, as they just overtake all the time.

but i am sure i have just been unlucky, and there must be nice ones out there

sa for judging a biker on how he looks ... well, i would never judge anyone on how they look. full stop. I used to be the biggest goth ever (back in the 80's) and am very open minded about appearance.

I agree with what you’re saying. I live in Southampton and we have far too many scooter loving fools on the road that don’t have a clue about what safety is.

And the other thing is what is it with bikers under taking people do they just like hospital food or really don’t like there life’s. I have had in like the last month have like 10 undertake me coming towards roundabouts CRAZYNESS.

Suspended
Maybe youre approaching the roundabout in the right hand lane to go straight on? You should be using the left hand lane hence why you may think they're undertaking you ;)

As for bikers crossing in the solid line hatchings then tut tut. I'm a considerate biker - never overtake approaching a right hand junction in case the car turns right (as invariably happens) and dont annoy cars at traffic lights by pulling up next to them and squeezing in! I know what annoys car drivers as I drive a car and bike too!!

Last edited:
Associate
dougguk said:
Maybe youre approaching the roundabout in the right hand lane to go straight on? You should be using the left hand lane ;)

This could be true on motorways but i'm taking about small one lane roads with mini roundabouts.

Suspended
Duggan said:
This could be true on motorways but i'm taking about small one lane roads.

:eek: Never seen that happen, but that would annoy me too if I was in the car. I'd just call "Badger" and swerve to avoid the badger. Oops, sorry, didnt see you there Mr Biker - oh, what was that, you were UNDERTAKING me on a ONE track road... hmmmm....

Associate
dougguk said:
:eek: Never seen that happen, but that would annoy me too if I was in the car. I'd just call "Badger" and swerve to avoid the badger. Oops, sorry, didnt see you there Mr Biker - oh, what was that, you were UNDERTAKING me on a ONE track road... hmmmm....

Ha ha the old there was a badger in the middle of the road trick (Wicked). Bikers be award of invisibly Badgers

Soldato
Motorcylce awareness month? I'm all too aware about how many shouldn't be on the road. Damned stupid riders most of the ones round here. Get the odd sensible one, but most have a deathwish.

Soldato
The problem is one of perception. You tend not to notice the decent riders (of which I consider myself one of :p ), as they are quietly making progress without getting in peoples way.
You do, however, notice the dangerous, lunatic riders who make you have to take avoiding action because they don't seem to be able to cope with arriving 0.5s later at their destination.
This makes people think that the only riders they see on the roads are prats.
I see many riders on my daily commutes who fall in to both camps, but I'll bet car drivers only see the latter group.

Pug

Pug

Soldato
little bit dissappointed with the views expressed in this thread towards bikers really, but i guess it enforces the driver -> biker gap thts formed...

I believe a lot of the hostility towards bikers is a product of drivers' lack of awareness, though i hve never (and dont know anybody) who has undertaken in a single lane road, i have seen TOO many cars change lanes on roundabouts at a whim tho.

I believe drivers get surprised by bikes as they simply dont realise they're there, and bikers probably get frustrated with drivers, and try to get in front of them, because basically its safer -sometimes i believe cars are actually trying to kill me - and i'd consider myself a considerate biker.

And there's NOTHING wrong with "spending most of the time on the wrong side of the road" as long as it doesnt violate any traffic laws.

as for filtering to the front of a queue, i'm supposed to wait at the back because people decide to drive vehicles that occupy FAR too much space for (normally) 1 occupant? Who's the silly one really? Congestion wouldn't exist if more people road bikes, but thats a side issue

Like them or not remember bikers are more vulnerable than car drivers, and show that little bit of consideration that makes you the better person at the end of the day, and you'll save a life. So what if they're being idiots, no one would want the fact they contributed to a death (their fault or not) on their conscience - i'm sure.

And one more thing, lets NEVER include scooter riders in a conversation about bikers. They share none of the sentiment, none of the skill and i think we'll all agree are vermin of the road ;)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom