NETGEAR Router Tick?

Soldato
Howdy,

I got my NETGEAR DG834 today and got it all hooked up to my local network. Just got a question though... not really important, but its bugging me and I cant find an answer anywhere?

The front of the router has several icons, you have a power icon, ADSL connection icon and your 4 switch icons. Well there is also a tick on there next to the power... what is this about? Mine isn't lit up and never has been?

Also another thing (whilst Im here :) ). I'm use to using a USB modem for my internet, so when you get disconnected, you KNOW you are disconnected from the web as the notification disappears in my system tray... how will I know with my router? I know its not a big issue as the router will auto reconnect, but I would like to know when Im not connected? Do I have to login to the router config to see if its not connected? I was hoping the tick would have sumin to do with this?

Sorry if I have wasted your time... just curious thats all.

ta

Soldato
OP
How is the test light used? From the config somewhere?

But if I lose my connection to the web, doesnt mean ive lost my connection to the ADSL does it? I know my old modem has 2 lights, one to tell me if i was connected to the ADSL and the other to tell me if I was connected to the web?... Well I think it did :)

Caporegime
keogh said:
But if I lose my connection to the web, doesnt mean ive lost my connection to the ADSL does it?

If you lose sync, you've lost the PPP session, but if you've lost the PPP session but not sync, you'll presumably have to rely on a) the web interface and b) the complete lack of throughput.

Soldato
OP
ns400r said:
RTFM, it's all in there on the "The Router's Front Panel" page.

Ahh I assume this is the manual on the CD right? Cos I got no other manual with my router! I had a quick butchers through the CD... but wasn't looking for that, should have done that I suppose :)

tolien said:
If you lose sync, you've lost the PPP session, but if you've lost the PPP session but not sync, you'll presumably have to rely on a) the web interface and b) the complete lack of throughput.

Thought as much, ta!

Back
Top Bottom